Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

States closed to non-residents during 2020, hit them up in 2021!

Started by deerhunt1988, December 06, 2020, 09:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Figured we needed to go ahead and get this jump started so folks can start planning their 2021 season. There was good gobbler carryover in the 'destination' states that were closed to non-residents in 2020. Feel free to add to the following list:

Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Nebraska
Ohio

Get it while its good! (and watch out for those TSS pellets)

GobbleNut

I haven't kept up with the closures from 2020, but the "elephant in the room" is that all of those states,...and possibly more,...could stay closed again next spring if we don't get a grip on covid in the next few months.  Best pray that the vaccine has been widely distributed (and taken) by March or thereabouts.

I will also make this prediction for those that might eschew the vaccine.  I will not be at all surprised that we will have to show proof of getting the vaccination to be able to travel to other states to hunt,...if that possibility exists at all.

PalmettoRon

I agree with you GobbleNut. Things haven't even begun to hit the fan yet. Every state I planned on hunting last Spring refunded me for my license except for Arizona. I turn 65 in February and will definitely take the vaccine when it's available, but I'm gonna wait to make any firm plans for Spring 2021. I did draw AZ again for next Spring, so hopefully that tag goes to use. Hopefully the San Carlos Reservation opens up too. I think things will be better and most likely we will be able to travel this Spring, but that is definitely up in the air. The next several months are going to be unlike any we've seen. I'm optimistic about this Spring, but man, this Winter is one for us all to take care.

joey46

Great thread - 2020 was going to be a Merriam trip for me.  Postponed to 2021.  Planned on spending a few bucks for a semi-guided but now hate to part with any deposit $$.  Opinions?

Tail Feathers

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 06, 2020, 10:20:50 AM
I haven't kept up with the closures from 2020, but the "elephant in the room" is that all of those states,...and possibly more,...could stay closed again next spring if we don't get a grip on covid in the next few months.  Best pray that the vaccine has been widely distributed (and taken) by March or thereabouts.

I will also make this prediction for those that might eschew the vaccine.  I will not be at all surprised that we will have to show proof of getting the vaccination to be able to travel to other states to hunt,...if that possibility exists at all.
I'm making plans, but I won't pay money for anything that can't be refunded if they shut down again.  Licenses will only be purchased just before the trip just to be safe.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hook hanger

Some of those states seen resident number of tags increase and harvest was higher than normal year. So may not be as many gobbler carry over as you would think.

deerhunt1988

States didn't close to non-res for deer season. Lot more $$ at stake there!

BigSlam51

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on December 06, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
States didn't close to non-res for deer season. Lot more $$ at stake there!
Exactly. According to the media, numbers started climbing in ohio during the best time to deer hunt here, and the state didn't shut down non residents. A lot more money to be made on deer vs turkey.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: Hook hanger on December 06, 2020, 12:39:35 PM
Some of those states seen resident number of tags increase and harvest was higher than normal year. So may not be as many gobbler carry over as you would think.
Absolutely TRUE Hook Hanger.  If States weren't COMPLETELY closed to the Spring Turkey season, the numbers carried over will likely be DOWN.  If you will remember, most States were shutdown, people were sent home from work and told to quarantine at home unless you were essential employees.  Those States that did allow Spring Turkey season saw their local turkey populations Hit Hard with more hunters taking to the woods with PLENTY of time to hunt.  Many hunters took their first turkey and many were Jakes.  This will actually have a Very Adverse effect on the Gobbler population for several seasons to come.  If this happens again this Spring, numbers will be down for at least 5 years and this may cause States DNR to close future seasons and or reduce numbers!  I know my state, NC, had the highest harvest recorded in many years.  All this was due to Covid, people being off work, more hunters in the woods and LARGER harvests...

310 gauge

All true bbcoach!  And since school here in N.C. is still virtual in many Counties, kids young and old are in the deer woods and seeing Winter flocks of Turkeys and going....WOW!!!!  First timers last Spring will be back at them again and bringing their buddies too for a Jake assault again!

nativeks

According to my trail camera there are 3 gobblers carrying over to next spring on my drainage assuming they survive. Also 16 hens. When I bought the place in 2013 I had a fall flock of 18 gobblers and well over 50 hens.

mcw3734

Not to hijack the thread... but did any state report a decrease in turkeys killed last spring?

I'm with some of the previous posts, my understanding is that birds got hit hard and will likely so again this spring. I don't know if the 'closed' boarders resulted in a net gain of gobblers heading into 2021.

deerhunt1988

Some of these states have chunks of public land that are overwhelmingly hunted by non-residents each year. Easily 50%+ of the hunting pressure. Aw heck, I'll name a couple. Kansas WIHAs and a specific region of Nebraska where umpteen threads are posted about each year now. Once again, get it while its good! If you've traveled enough and hunted some of these spots, you'll understand.

Non-residents displaced by the closures last spring hit up neighboring states instead (Missouri, Wisconsin, etc.) and it sure got ugly with the insane pressure on public land.

GobbleNut

For sure, it will be interesting to see how all of these elements come together this next spring.  In regards to turkey numbers and hunt quality, much of that will depend on nesting success and survival in the last couple of years.  I suspect hunter numbers and associated pressure will depend entirely upon what happens with the virus and whether it gets worse or better, and at this point, it would seem the distribution (and acceptance) of the vaccine will be the key element. 

The latest predictions are that the vaccine will be widely available in the April/May timeframe next spring.   Whether that comes to pass, and whether it makes any difference to us spring gobbler hunters, is the big unknown factor, I think. 

As others have stated, it probably will be wise not to make any firm plans on out-of-state hunts until we get a much clearer picture of where things are at in a few more months.   

Turkeyman

I'd like to hunt MO, KY, NY and PA next spring. Whether or not that comes to fruition is, pretty much, Covid vaccine dependant I imagine. Have to wait and see. Besides, Lord knows what Sleezy Joe will come up with after inauguration.