OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Ethics and issues of Hotspotting in Hunting

Started by idgobble, October 27, 2020, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

you all are worrying about the wrong thing.....you won't have to worry about hunting after Joe & Kamala send Beta to collect your guns.

idgobble

Quote from: eggshell on October 31, 2020, 06:05:04 AM
you all are worrying about the wrong thing.....you won't have to worry about hunting after Joe & Kamala send Beta to collect your guns.

Some people said the same thing when Obama was elected.

eggshell

Yeah I know it's all campaign rhetoric, but they'd like too.

silvestris

Quote from: eggshell on October 31, 2020, 05:54:49 PM

And they will try if they get the chance.  Vote.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Cut N Run

I would tell a few good friends where I hear gobbling birds, because I trust them and know they won't cross me.  I certainly don't give up locations of where I hunt, unless I don't hunt there much.  There is no faster way to wreck places you hunt than to let others know where it is.

I used to guide for bass & crappie at some of the lakes in the region.  I preferred out of state guests because I wasn't likely to find them or their buddies fishing the places I showed them. It matters big time.  I had a friend come in from out of state to fish a regional crappie tournament, but he didn't have time to pre-fish to figure things out for himself.  I sent him to a spot I found by accident when the big motor on my boat quit and I was forced to limp around on the trolling motor.  He ended up finishing in second place overall on best 10 fish and his heaviest won 3 place in individual fish honors.
I kept that spot secret and it paid off for him in a big way.  If I'd been taking others there, the fishing wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Turkeytider

If the Republicans lose the Senate, it might be more than " like too".

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

ChiefBubba

Quote from: Turkeytider on November 07, 2020, 08:54:20 AM

If the Republicans lose the Senate, it might be more than " like too".

At the very least be prepared to pay a lot more money in Fees which translate to taxes. I would say things will get a lot tougher with more and more Regulations. I would say make sure you keep a spotless record because even a Parking ticket could disqualify you from buying. Bubba

aclawrence

I've been surprised this deer season how people I know have shared info or trail cam pics with friends and it works it way all the way around to me.  It's funny they think they've kept a secret with a buddy and it's making its way through the grapevine. I just don't share any info I've worked hard to acquire through e-scouting, gas money, and boot leather.  There's a balance in there with helping out new hunters but I sure ain't telling other guys who will go in and pound on "my spots" lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gotcha

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

eggshell

I hear there are a bunch of turkeys at this spot, please don't tell

38°53'42.4"N 77°02'10.9"W

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on November 22, 2020, 12:42:47 PM
I hear there are a bunch of turkeys at this spot, please don't tell

38°53'42.4"N 77°02'10.9"W
Their will be many more soon it unfortunately appears.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: idgobble on October 31, 2020, 12:39:12 AM
Every year when the hunting/fishing seasons start these boards and FB groups get bombarded with requests from guys who want to know where to hunt or fish. Sometimes it's a place they can take their young, first time hunter kid or a new puppy that needs exposure to upland birds, etc. My usual answer is, "Start scouting right now and scout all year and by next hunting season you'll be off to a good start with good places to hunt." I actually enjoy scouting all year long and finding new areas for all the game I hunt but it seems that I'm one of a very small minority. I'm very selective about who I take hunting.  Been burned enough times to know better now.

I have always enjoyed the scouting side of hunting.  Amazed how many folks don't.  Always scouting for turkeys during deer season and for deer hunting spots during turkey season.  The month or so of listening before turkey season I thoroughly enjoy... it's relaxing just sitting and listening.  You will see very few scouting a couple of weeks before season.  The last week it increases a little, and when the day before arrives you see a big spike.  And when season opens it's an explosion of people. 

I only share info with a couple of close friends or my brother.  Learned years ago you will get taken advantage of and the value of keeping information quiet.  I cringe when I see a lot of the things shared on message boards or FB.  I particularly love the new fad of posting with pics of dead turkeys at a WMA sign with the message of "heard 10 this morning!!"  I remember years ago seeing a magazine article about a public "hot spot" we regularly hunted and being appalled.  Promise you we hunted that area more than anyone else and the article didn't accurately depict the state of the turkey population at the time. 

Jokingly my motto is, "When it comes to turkey hunting, there is no such thing as a lie." 

One aspect of online scouting or sharing information is that many intentionally share inaccurate information about one area to deflect attention and pressure from another area.  You see it from regions of states to as specific as WMAs. 

NCL

One aspect of online scouting or sharing information is that many intentionally share inaccurate information about one area to deflect attention and pressure from another area.  You see it from regions of states to as specific as WMAs.
[/quote]

This is something I have often wonder about. the accuracy of the information being presented. If a person wanted to deflected people just post about another place and make up information.