OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SoDak Nebraska tour

Started by daddylongspurs, May 19, 2011, 12:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddylongspurs

alright this is pic heavy, and let me preface this by saying, I have Never been to SoDak, or anyother part of Nebraska other than Omaha for some CWS baseball. So I bought some tags, and booked a ticket. I flew into rapid city last week, when i landed it was snowing, so yeah the weather men were full of *&@$ got a car and headed into the black hills. stoped at the national Forest Office got some maps, and asked where I might run across a Turkey. Natrualy they all laughed, and said "damn there everywhere!!!" well apparently their everywhere and mine are two different things. well I stopped at the local hardware stores and archeryshops got some decent intel and took off, in the rain. Did I mention Im by myself? found some good sign, saw some hens but no long beards. with the wind blowing and the rain steady i kept on. right at dark i heard a bird gobble, he was a ways off. got a half @ss location, and came back in the am. well he was roosted in someones yard. so I backed out as he had 6 hens in the yard with him. So back to the drawing board, found tons of good sign but the wind was blowing like a sack of fags and the wind chill was in the 20s, can it get much worse? well it was time for me to pack up and head to the cornhusker state. so I head back to the truck, open the back door gate and set my crap in, well i set the keys in to. yep it gets lots worse, just locked the damn keys in the truck and the closest house is over 10 miles away.  so i struck out walking because there is no cell service and the phone is in the truck, besides who would i call?? after 9 miles a truck passes. long story short, i unlocked the truck and headed south. i got to nebraska, and the weather is worse. but i had a bird fired up in  the gail force wind, laid eyes on him and he had acouple ladies with him, it was late and he went on to roost. next morning, the wind was again blowing like a sack of fags at 0400 and it was snowing again.  the wind chill was in the teens, the bird gobbled 3 times in the tree and that was it. not another sound. so after a few hour of trolling and uncontrolable convulsions due to the hypothermia i headed back to the truck to warm up. spotted a few birds off in the distance and made a move. well ended up getting a hen ****y and she brought her boyfriend along. that was bird one. about an hour later i found another bird in a draw made a move to get out in front of them, well it wasnt glamorous but they walked with in feet of my and i whacked bird two in nebraska. so back to sodak, after a day and a half i met a local Taxidermist who took pitty on me since i hadnt seen or heard a gobbler in the last 36 hrs. well he hooks me up with a guy that owns land in the crazyhorse monumet land and that backs up to the national forest. well he had a nice cooperative bird that I was able to get on, on the last hour of the last day. all in all it was a great trip, and next year I hope the weather is a little more cooperative. well here are some pics.

first nebraska bird

second nebraska bird

daddylongspurs

daddylongspurs

daddylongspurs

sure they are so naturally I approached one.........

TRKYHTR

Great pictures. Congrats on a successful hunt even with bad weather.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

NYGobblergetter

Congrats! Where did you hunt in Nebraska?

neal

That maybe the best story I've read in awhile! LOl funny stuff right there! Glad to see it all worked out in the end! Congrats!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Basin_hunter

Great pics ! That reminds me of my trips out west elk hunting. Congrats !
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

hobbes

Awesome photos!  I love that part of the country.

Congrats on the birds.

vicksburg

Great pics! Sounds like a nice trip considering the weather... Congrats!
]

Hognutz

Congrats on the birds. Great story (I laugh because I feel your pain), nice pictures..I love that part of S. Dakota.  Ben there on my bike, but  I do need to hunt there once. It is on my bucket list..Well done, Daddy-O..Well done..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.