OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

8.5 vs 9 tss

Started by Jake.251, February 11, 2024, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake.251

Who prefers 8.5s and why.

Ranman

BandedSpur

Nines. Better pattern density and all the penetration you will ever need, but it is purely academic. I have used both and either will work just fine. Don't overthink it.

Jake.251

Not trying to over think it. I have killed plenty with nines. I was testing a 20 ga the other day and it shot in the 290s with 8.5s. So considering the good pattern I was curious if there is really any advantage. The same gun shot 9s in the 300-320 range.

WV Ridge Reaper

Those 8s 8.5 hit like a train when they hit...If i was getting those numbers id prob go for it

Its like a yellow jacket or a wood hornet one hurts more and will mow a path of brush

You shooting 1 5/8 load ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

My 20 gauge Mossberg 500 does 235+ in a 10" at 40 yards with 8.5s in 1 3/8th load from Foxtrot.

20 years ago the goal was to break 100 in a 10" circle with lead 4s or 5s and we were happy.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Jake.251

tracker#1

Banded Spur is correct. Don't overthink it. NY went to #9s last year but I still use #8s tss hand loads because I believe they hit a little harder. That's me... I concentrate on shot placement

Happy

I prefer 8.5's if i am shooting tss. It gives me waaay more of a pattern than I need at 40, and since that's my max distance, I want them deaderer than if I shot them with #9's

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

If everyone here is 40 and in shoot any size, I had to load 7.5s for Iowa a couple years ago, pattern not nearly as good as 9s but better than my 12ga loads prior to TSS.

I have considered 8 or 8.5 to try and eliminate any shot in the meat, I get occasional pellets in the breast and legs/thighs.  Maybe with 8s that would go away?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 13, 2024, 05:57:29 PM
I prefer 8.5's if i am shooting tss. It gives me waaay more of a pattern than I need at 40, and since that's my max distance, I want them deaderer than if I shot them with #9's

X2 ... Agree

JeffC

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 29, 2024, 10:27:33 AM
If everyone here is 40 and in shoot any size, I had to load 7.5s for Iowa a couple years ago, pattern not nearly as good as 9s but better than my 12ga loads prior to TSS.

I have considered 8 or 8.5 to try and eliminate any shot in the meat, I get occasional pellets in the breast and legs/thighs.  Maybe with 8s that would go away?
New Jersey is still behind on loads, so have to shoot minimum of #7 1/2s , hope they catch up and allow #9s in the future. I dont reload, much easier to find 9s in stores.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Happy

With 8.5's, I haven't had issues. But to be fair, I aim at the head to try and keep shot out of the breast. My average shot is probably 25- 30 yards, so I don't have a very big pattern either.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Notsoyoungturk

Tried some Apex Ninja 8.5 today.  Patterned better for me than the 9s I was shooting.  The pattern is the decision maker.  It will be 8.5s this year.  Shot with Indian Creek 0.555 choke at 20 and 40 yards.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

GregN

Quote from: JeffC on February 29, 2024, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 29, 2024, 10:27:33 AM

New Jersey is still behind on loads, so have to shoot minimum of #7 1/2s , hope they catch up and allow #9s in the future. I dont reload, much easier to find 9s in stores.

Fyi I have "heard" the a proposal to allow shot size smaller than the existing #7.5 shot has been approved by the fish and game council and will now move to legislature ....hopefully this gets finalized by next year.