Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Just doing the right things right

Started by FullChoke, May 08, 2024, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Several years ago while enjoying the afterglow of taking a nice gobbler that morning I realized something rather important about the hunt. It was a complex interchange between a roosting gobbler, a hen that walked up to me and myself. As we started talking back and forth between the three of us, I was making an entire series of correct decisions about calling, volume, setup location, movement and silence that culminated in the gobbler coming up to 25 yards when I shot. I realized that I was not really thinking about the calls, etc. but that they were in reality automatic responses to the unique and ever changing options that were being presented on the fly. Everything was coming from a source within me and proved to be the right thing to do at that moment in response to the given circumstances with the goal of calling the gobbler in. Maybe the best way to describe that immersive mental state would be a form of altered reality and situational awareness. We may find that wild animals such as old sly gobblers who always seem to know when things aren't right and can find a way to evade us are living freely within this same different cognitive level and it has served them well their whole lives.

I just know that when I am in this super zone, I find that I do all of the right things right, all without really thinking about it.

Cheers ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.