turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

16 Gauges

Started by Eric Gregg, February 17, 2011, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Does anyone hunt with a 16 Gauge?  It appears that the 16 is all but obsolete.
Just wondering if anyone may know why firearm manufactureres do not produce them like they used to.

hookedspur

Just no one making shells for them ,they kick like a 12 but wont outshoot the 20.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TrophyTracker

I have an Ithaca M37 16ga that I wouldn't part with for any amount. Ithaca just started making them again in 2010. The Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles shell performs wonders out of it on everything I have hunted thus far.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Devastator

does federal still make a copper plated load?i have killed a few birds with those shells,in fact i still have
a half dozen shells still kicking around.not sure if they still make them,it has been many years ago since i bought them.

goblr77

Winchester has a Super X load with 1-1/8 oz of #6 shot. This should work fine for turkeys.

TScottW99

My turkey hunting mentor has killed birds with a 16 gauge for over 30 years.  Still killing them dead for him.  He uses the Winchester load. 
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

WyoHunter

I wish I had the Browning Citori Lightning 16 ga. I sold about 15 years ago. It was a great gun that carried like a 20 ga. and killed pheasants like a 12 ga.!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

EMSDJ2

I have 16 gauge shells but no 16 ga gun :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Odessa

Quote from: WyoHunter on February 18, 2011, 04:50:16 PM
I wish I had the Browning Citori Lightning 16 ga. I sold about 15 years ago. It was a great gun that carried like a 20 ga. and killed pheasants like a 12 ga.!  :icon_thumright:

My wife bought me this one for Valentine's Day, it's from the current limited run.  Have a preserve bird hunt scheduled for this coming Friday - I have great expectations.

"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

dawei

Quote from: timb on February 18, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
does federal still make a copper plated load? i have killed a few birds with those shells,in fact i still have a half dozen shells still kicking around. not sure if they still make them, it has been many years ago since i bought them.
They still make them, I use THIS.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

schuylkillspur

I used the H&R 16ga with a custom choke installed and Remington Express #7 1/2 to kill the Kansas Rio @ 33yds
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Eric Gregg

Nice gun and nice turkey :smiley-char092:

How hard was that gun to come by in 16?