only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my thoughts on reaping

Started by Missouri hunter, February 26, 2020, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Quote from: fallhnt on April 14, 2020, 08:34:08 AM
Quote from: fallhnt on April 07, 2020, 07:04:18 PM
What about the guy stalking your calling in the woods?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
This is more dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah I can assure you the stalker is way more dangerous

Bowslinger

Never tryed it since I hunt public land only may not be a good idea

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm far from an expereinced hunter, but I do enjoy turkey hunting.  I have a lot of private land I hunt in Virginia and North Carolina that's on different tracts within about a 20 mile radius.  I'm very fortunate.  I'm also fortunate to live in an area where ther are a lot of turkeys.  It's a target rich environment to say the least.  I don't like folks judging how others take their game.  Some folks like a challenge and you can hunt with a slingshot and some old-style call and that's great.  It doesn't impress me.  I had an old-timer talk a lot of crap about using decoys to kill turkeys because that's not how he used to hunt them.  Thought it was cheating, and I'm sure many of you see it that way.  That's fine too.  You're entitiled to your opinion and that's about it.  Most of the time our opinions are worth only one or two things: 1) making yourself feel superior; 2) trying to belittle someone else for doing something differently than you do it.  I learn a lot from the old-timer and we're friends.  I've learned more from him and another long-time turkey hunter than I've learned from anyone or anywhere else.  The old-timer is coming around to decoys, mainly because the turkeys have changed habits and he feels it may be necessary to give them something to see.  And he doesn't always kill a turkey when he's using them, neither do I.  If decoys had been around when he started turkey hunting maybe he'd have started using them when he was younger, I don't know. I know that folks use the equipment that is popular when they get into something like turkey hunting, especially if they feel it improves their success.

So as far as reaping goes I could care less if people do it.  I have a buddy that loves it and says it's a big rush.  He kills his limit and stops just like most people I know do.  I don't like it because I simply don't want to do it.  I don't like the idea of trying to crawl through a field or anywhere with a decoy in one hand and a gun in the other.  I also don't like the decision to drop the decoy and shoot, because I think I'll get all messed up and miss the turkey or have the gun go off unintentionally.  I don't need that type of stress when I'm hunting.  I like taking my time and completing the mission.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 17, 2020, 03:01:42 PM
I'm far from an expereinced hunter, but I do enjoy turkey hunting.  I have a lot of private land I hunt in Virginia and North Carolina that's on different tracts within about a 20 mile radius.  I'm very fortunate.  I'm also fortunate to live in an area where ther are a lot of turkeys.  It's a target rich environment to say the least.  I don't like folks judging how others take their game.  Some folks like a challenge and you can hunt with a slingshot and some old-style call and that's great.  It doesn't impress me.  I had an old-timer talk a lot of crap about using decoys to kill turkeys because that's not how he used to hunt them.  Thought it was cheating, and I'm sure many of you see it that way.  That's fine too.  You're entitiled to your opinion and that's about it.  Most of the time our opinions are worth only one or two things: 1) making yourself feel superior; 2) trying to belittle someone else for doing something differently than you do it.  I learn a lot from the old-timer and we're friends.  I've learned more from him and another long-time turkey hunter than I've learned from anyone or anywhere else.  The old-timer is coming around to decoys, mainly because the turkeys have changed habits and he feels it may be necessary to give them something to see.  And he doesn't always kill a turkey when he's using them, neither do I.  If decoys had been around when he started turkey hunting maybe he'd have started using them when he was younger, I don't know. I know that folks use the equipment that is popular when they get into something like turkey hunting, especially if they feel it improves their success.

So as far as reaping goes I could care less if people do it.  I have a buddy that loves it and says it's a big rush.  He kills his limit and stops just like most people I know do.  I don't like it because I simply don't want to do it.  I don't like the idea of trying to crawl through a field or anywhere with a decoy in one hand and a gun in the other.  I also don't like the decision to drop the decoy and shoot, because I think I'll get all messed up and miss the turkey or have the gun go off unintentionally.  I don't need that type of stress when I'm hunting.  I like taking my time and completing the mission.

Great post, Mg!  Well stated and right on!

1iagobblergetter

Not for me,but I'm not judging anyone if it's legal. I just enjoy the calling in and killing aspect more. I'm also kinda fat and getting old. Crawling around doesnt sound fun to me.

Bridger

Not for me- I hunt mostly public land and consider it a safety issue.  I don't use decoys on public land either.
HYOH- hunt your own hunt though. Not for me to say what others should do. 

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

silvestris

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 17, 2020, 03:01:42 PM
The old-timer is coming around to decoys, mainly because the turkeys have changed habits and he feels it may be necessary to give them something to see.

The turkeys haven't changed their habits.  They have been sprinting to hens and gobblers in open fields since the introduction of the axe.  I don't know what to call it, but other than a crutch, it is not Turkey hunting, it is merely Turkey killing, and is a tactic suitable for Ned in the first reader.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

DP42912

They made it illegal here in SC on public, and the full strut decoys as well.

GobbleNut

Quote from: DP42912 on May 10, 2020, 08:42:02 PM
They made it illegal here in SC on public, and the full strut decoys as well.

If they made it illegal (which I have no problem with), it should be illegal across-the-board.  It irks the crap out of me when private property owners are given special privileges in the use of a publicly-owned resource (wild turkeys/wildlife).  ...Arghhhh!

eggshell

As I've stated I have genuine concern as to how safe it is, but is true that if it's legal it's your choice. It's also your choice to jump off a cliff, poop your pants or slap a bear, but common sense says none of those things will work out well for your health or comfort. This JIm Croce song has some good philosophy to it that should be applied to reaping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrTGE4wwwA

So, as I see it, if you choose to do it apply at least a little common sense in where, when and how you do it. I will pass myself. As for decoys, I mostly object because I'm too darn lazy to carry them.

guesswho

Quote from: eggshell on May 11, 2020, 04:04:05 PM
As I've stated I have genuine concern as to how safe it is, but is true that if it's legal it's your choice. It's also your choice to jump off a cliff, poop your pants or slap a bear, but common sense says none of those things will work out well for your health or comfort.
Chances are better than average if you slap a bear your also going to poop your pants before to long.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ozarks Hillbilly

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Except bears, Bears will kill you!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Plush

The danger probably lies within where you do it. In a field surrounded by your own land...probably not dangerous because you won't run into unaware hunters. Public Land? Pretty darn stupid. Woods? Pretty darn risky.

Sure, the hunter shooting a reaper is probably the bigger idiot, but that sure isn't a consolation prize when you get shot. When on public and I think I might run into someone else I won't even use a hen decoy because people are that dumb.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: silvestris on May 10, 2020, 02:54:14 PM
The turkeys haven't changed their habits.  They have been sprinting to hens and gobblers in open fields since the introduction of the axe.  I don't know what to call it, but other than a crutch, it is not Turkey hunting, it is merely Turkey killing, and is a tactic suitable for Ned in the first reader.

This is a perfect example of an opinion and nothing else.  We all should know by now that people's opinions are hard to change. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.