OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An odd tale from KY

Started by shaman, April 27, 2015, 08:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerman87

Definitely sounds unusual but hey guys let not kid ourselves here is there anything that it not unusual about these amazing birds? I personally say no way that's the fun of it why we head out into the woods at 430 500 to try to outsmart one of these toms in the spring. So like mentioned above I don't minds
Seeing the abundance of hens because if your struggling to see ol toms now imagine how bad it Woud be with no hens around probably be really bad before we all knew it but the future is definitely looking up.

jakesdad

Are you hunting the same farm as me Shaman? Started hunting a family members 90 acre piece this year,has not been turkey hunted for several years. Ive had 5-6 birds consistently(and its the only thing consistent they've done)gobbling everyday,and for quite some time even after flydown. 3 different times ive had hens come from the same area the gobblers are in and be by themselves.One day I was within 75 yds of the roost with 2 hammerin toms.3 hens pitch down with them into a open pipeline r/w where i'm at and walk into the decoys.The gobblers come down shortly after but stand in the woods gobbling like there was no tomorrow!!! Would not come with those hens for nothin!

On the other hand the acreage around our farm that usually has several birds has nothing. Our neighbor killed a 2 year old opening day.He listens from his porch every morning before work and my dad does the same from the other side of the properties and neither have seen or even heard a bird since April 20.Not saying there arent any because we have transmitted hens that the conservation checks on that are around but no visible or audible signs of any toms.

This is the most frustrating year i've ever had with this many birds around and getting nothing to go right!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"