OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Front End yelp on a mouth call

Started by BABS9, February 18, 2015, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BABS9

Anyone have any tips on achieving the front end of the yelp on a mouth call. Or some people say finding the sweet spot?? Thanks

Redfish

This helped me a lot. For my money nobody sounds better on a mouth call.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKR3eYnBd4
John 3:16

Jbird22

That's a good video and I'll add that you have to find a call that is capable of producing that clear whine/whistle before you can really achieve a distinct two note yelp. I'm not a pro but, in my experience, not every call is going to give you that clear front note. Also, the back end of the yelp is just as important as the front end. You have to drop your jaw with each note to get the rollover, which is what completes the two note yelp.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 18, 2015, 03:07:41 PM
That's a good video and I'll add that you have to find a call that is capable of producing that clear whine/whistle before you can really achieve a distinct two note yelp. I'm not a pro but, in my experience, not every call is going to give you that clear front note. Also, the back end of the yelp is just as important as the front end. You have to drop your jaw with each note to get the rollover, which is what completes the two note yelp.

JBIRD22 knows what he's talking about, and he helped me some with my yelping last year!  I just exchanged a LONG email with my turkey hunting mentor where we talked about this VERY thing, and ...  we made a distinction between "competition" calling vs. "field" calling...  He's hunted turkeys for over 40 years and has heard plenty of real hens that sounded HORRIBLE -- NO front-end to their yelp, at all...  Although I'd love to mature into a beautiful competition caller one day (maybe), I believe "field grade calling" is good enough to bag plenty of birds.

Having said all this, here's my video tut on yelping; I start with the squeal/whine, and then proceed to the back end note: http://youtu.be/IWiwAglZY9U ...  This may not win you many competitions, but in my experience, it'll dang sure make one gobble.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Jbird22

Thanks BGD!

BABS9, here's a quick sound file I made. I hope it helps!
https://soundcloud.com/jbird_22/two-note-yelp-of-a-hen-turkey
DISCLAIMER..I had to record it inside due to cold, windy conditions so you may want to be ready to turn the volume down. lol

bamagtrdude

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 18, 2015, 05:09:19 PM
Thanks BGD!

BABS9, here's a quick sound file I made. I hope it helps!
https://soundcloud.com/jbird_22/two-note-yelp-of-a-hen-turkey
DISCLAIMER..I had to record it inside due to cold, windy conditions so you may want to be ready to turn the volume down. lol

You're welcome, bud -- hey, is this the sound file you sent me last year, or a new one??
---

Jbird22

New one, just recorded it earlier today.

BABS9

Thanks guys appreciate the replies and the help!!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 18, 2015, 05:40:10 PM
New one, just recorded it earlier today.

Dude, THAT was one of THE BEST descriptions of how to produce a yelp I have ever heard!!!  Good job, man!  Back to the woodshed for practicing for me!!  haha

BGD
---

The Cohutta Strutter

:icon_thumright: Also Shane Simpson gives an good explanation as well. Youtube Mouth Call Mechanics.
Anybody seen America lately?

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 18, 2015, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 18, 2015, 03:07:41 PM

JBIRD22 knows what he's talking about, and he helped me some with my yelping last year!  I just exchanged a LONG email with my turkey hunting mentor where we talked about this VERY thing, and ...  we made a distinction between "competition" calling vs. "field" calling...  He's hunted turkeys for over 40 years and has heard plenty of real hens that sounded HORRIBLE -- NO front-end to their yelp, at all...  Although I'd love to mature into a beautiful competition caller one day (maybe), I believe "field grade calling" is good enough to bag plenty of birds.

Having said all this, here's my video tut on yelping; I start with the squeal/whine, and then proceed to the back end note: http://youtu.be/IWiwAglZY9U ...  This may not win you many competitions, but in my experience, it'll dang sure make one gobble.

BGD

Not questioning you, just trying to learn. Are you saying that a newbie to mouth calls can call in a turkey with mediocre clucks and other calls? I have tried three different mouth calls and they all sound raspy. To be honest, to me they sound like ducks or hounds. It is hard to believe that it would bring in a turkey, but I guess no two turkeys sound exactly alike. Again, not questioning you, just trying to wrap my head around mouth calls, because I can't figure out a basic yelp or cluck to save my life.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 18, 2015, 08:47:50 PM
Not questioning you, just trying to learn. Are you saying that a newbie to mouth calls can call in a turkey with mediocre clucks and other calls? I have tried three different mouth calls and they all sound raspy. To be honest, to me they sound like ducks or hounds. It is hard to believe that it would bring in a turkey, but I guess no two turkeys sound exactly alike. Again, not questioning you, just trying to wrap my head around mouth calls, because I can't figure out a basic yelp or cluck to save my life.

:z-winnersmiley:  Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying...  All you have to do is a quick search around YouTube, watch several "home-made" videos, and you'll hear crappy calling luring in gobblers all day long...  You DO NOT have to be a competition caller to kill a turkey -- PERIOD!  *BUT* I will say this -- and here's the important part -- *IF* you intend to call in a very woods-wise bird, THEN I do believe with gusto that your calling better be pretty darn good...

SO given that, you ought to spend a bazillion hours with JBIRD22's SoundCloud tutorial until you grasp what he's teaching; that way, your calling is good enough to bag the easy AND the tough birds.

BGD
---

Jbird22

The first few years I called for myself I didn't sound very good at all. My yelps were one note, my clucks were inconsistent at best, my cutting was all over the place, and I had no clue how to purr but I still somehow managed to kill birds. You do need to get the cadence/rhythm correct but the notes themselves don't have to be perfect. Also, you don't want to repeat the same sequences of calls over and over again. I was guilty of that as well. Keep in mind, learning how to run a mouth call takes LOTS of practice.

Here's a great video by Shane Simpson that Cohutta Stutter mentioned earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg

bamagtrdude

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 18, 2015, 09:24:22 PM
.... [snip] *** managed to kill birds. You do need to get the cadence/rhythm correct but the notes themselves don't have to be perfect. Also, you don't want to repeat the same sequences of calls over and over again. I was guilty of that as well.... [snip]

*BOOM*  There's the secret right there.  Cadence & rhythm CORRECT = killing birds.  Notes CORRECT = win calling competitions.

:)
---

Redfish

I agree completely for normal private land turkeys. Step onto hard hunted public land and good calling makes all the difference. Apparently listening to a few hundred bad callers and a few loads of #6's wizzing overhead can make a gobbler a little more picky. :toothy12:
John 3:16