turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any advice for hunting in the rain??

Started by mikeyfuzz, May 06, 2013, 04:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyfuzz

Going up for my annual turkey hunt in NY, unfortunately the forecast is calling for some rain. What's the best way to get after birds in nasty weather?

whaler

Im planning the trip too but saw the forecast as well. looking like 50/50 shot of some rain for Sat and Sunday.

Usually if its not too heavy it wont affect their patterns but Ive found that if its a steady drizzle to full on shower, they will be out in the open, fields.

Im going to keep watching the weather to see if the chance decreases of any prolonged rain.

FullChoke

In a good rain, head to open areas. I don't know if it is because they can't hear well due to the sound of the raindrops and they can rely more on their eyesight to avoid predators or it's some other vague turkey reason, but they tend to head there when it's raining.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

DirtNap647

Quote from: FullChoke on May 08, 2013, 11:07:05 AM
In a good rain, head to open areas. I don't know if it is because they can't hear well due to the sound of the raindrops and they can rely more on their eyesight to avoid predators or it's some other vague turkey reason, but they tend to head there when it's raining.

FC
:icon_thumright:

beardwacker

First remember that this is there home and they are use to the rain.  If it is a light or medium rain they usually go about there business, my experiance.  heavy rain, they hit fields or pine thickets to get out of it.  Once the rain stop's like deer they are hot and heavy, I think best time to be out there.  Only one thing keeps me from hunting in rain, if it loud enough that I cann't hear a gobble, they cann't hear me. 

philliesdoc

so for the second straight year I got one in the rain.  so count me as a guy that loves hunting in the rain.

I have been in a blind and outside, I haven't found much of a difference.  I have noticed they will respond to calls when the rain lightens up.  just my 2 cents, keep at them no matter what.

The one I got yesterday was with 4 hens strutting in a light shower just after a heavier rain.