turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any advice on hunting in the wind???

Started by Blackdog79, April 13, 2012, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdog79

Tomorrow is opening day in KY and the forecast is calling for temps in the low 80's and winds at 20-30MPH.  Any advice on hunting in windy conditions????

chcltlabz

Here's how I hunt the wind.  Run and gun, and stop and call twice as often as I normally would.  Be ready at every calling sequence to sit down quick, because when they do sound off, they could be CLOSE!  Remember, the birds have a tough time hearing each other when its windy too, so they could be lonely.

Box calls cut the wind great.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

hotrod49er

I seem to have the best luck on windy days. Box call works well, and I just sit back and relax.

jakebird

My advice for the wind is to get out of it, anything over about 25. Look for a deep, sheltered hollow, protected side of a ridge, or in flatland, dense pines or cedars. You'll likely find the birds holed up there.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

gunnerj

Get out of the wind in a protected area. Then call loud and call often. :anim_25:

mnbirdbuster

Or...use the wind to your advantage and call with it :z-winnersmiley: Never against or even cross wind, but with it! Use it in the Black Hills all the time, a turkey wont smell you ;D In nasty wind, i do agree with trying to get away from it, and if not possible calling more often than on a quiet day. Be prepared to hit the ground should one gobble as they will be close :gobble:

dadsahuntin

Quote from: mnbirdbuster on April 13, 2012, 05:32:06 PM
Or...use the wind to your advantage and call with it :z-winnersmiley: Never against or even cross wind, but with it! Use it in the Black Hills all the time, a turkey wont smell you ;D In nasty wind, i do agree with trying to get away from it, and if not possible calling more often than on a quiet day. Be prepared to hit the ground should one gobble as they will be close :gobble:

I didnt think a Turkey could smell in any wind. Am I wrong?
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

hotrod49er

:drool:
Quote from: dadsahuntin on April 13, 2012, 07:05:37 PM
Quote from: mnbirdbuster on April 13, 2012, 05:32:06 PM

I didnt think a Turkey could smell in any wind. Am I wrong?

Gobble gobble boom

I hunt in an area with lots of pastures/fields so I sneak from one to the next glassing for birds. It seems with the wind blowing and all of the branches moving you can get away with more movement. If I don't spot any I move to a "favorite" area and use a box call. I hate hunting in the wind but I would rather hunt than work or sit at home. I have never killed one from the house.

Blackdog79

Thanks everyone, wish I could report some good news but this weekend was a bust.  Once the wind got above 20mph is was all but pointless to be out there.  We didn't hear one gobble much less get one to respond. I'll try again in a day or two.

ttcustomcalls

I like to cover lots of ground and try to spot birds in the distance then use the flurry of other motion to cover my movements to sneak into calling range.

Mike Honcho

Its windy in Kansas where live...louder calling like the guys have said helps...you may have to change your tactics to more "spot and stalk" , intercept them if you can spot them...they can't hear your movements in the wind.

I had a memorable hunt two years ago in a 30-40 mph wind and I was able to get in front of some birds moving down low along a creek feeding trying to get out of the wind.   

I let them come to me...within 15 yards.