turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes on accident...

Started by Reloader, March 24, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I have killed two or three jakes I believed were longbeards, but they were no accident. I killed the bird I intended to shoot. I identified a target that was legal and decided to shoot it and I never regretted it. I simply made the choice not to wait and see a longbeard and I was fine with my choice every single time. It was always a gobbling bird that came to the call and gave a good game. I have never apologized or felt guilty for shooting jakes. I don't target them and 90 % of the time will let them walk away. However, if it's late season and I'm tired and a jake works good I'll bust his head and feel fine about it. Now to quantify these remarks. I don't know my numbers, but I imagine I've killed over 175 birds and I have shot maybe 8-10 jakes and most of them in the early years of my 53 seasons. Yet, I may shoot one next year. I do not view jakes as a lesser prize, but I pass them because they are the future. Don't let peer pressure keep you from shooting a jake, if he satisfies your requirements in a hunt, shoot him in the beak.