OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with 870 20ga

Started by twyatt, January 13, 2023, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

I'm wanting to see what the suggestions might be to open up this pattern some.  This is my 870 20ga at 20 yards with a TruLock .585 ported, and Apex 9's.   This is too tight for me personally but I'm not sure what to try beyond the 585.  Can I shoot TSS through my standard factory mod or full that came with the gun?  Any other suggestions?  I don't shoot birds at long range, and am typically hunting over decoys at 15-20 yards, and would just like a little more forgiveness than this.

Glades

Try the factory full. It shouldn't have any issues running TSS.

Jordan121787

Funny that you asked. I tested out my .601 Trulock today! .590 was too tight for my 20 yard barrel

2eagles

I have to wonder, why tss if you are shooting 15-20 yards? Lead 6's should be fine out to 30.

Jordan121787

You're not wrong. #5s look good but I can't find #6 lead turkey loads. They still didn't look as good as tss though.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 2eagles on January 13, 2023, 05:36:06 PM
I have to wonder, why tss if you are shooting 15-20 yards? Lead 6's should be fine out to 30.

My thoughts exactly. And yes, your factory full will work fine. An ounce of lead 7.5s would work fine out to 30 also, and I know you can find those. But if you do go that route, get a quality target load, not a "high base" hunting load. The target load will have harder shot and will out pattern the hunting load.

Vintage

I hope I have that Problem when I pattern My new to me 870.

g8rvet

#6 Pheasant loads are poison at 20 yards. 

But if you just want TSS, I used the factory full for my daughter's 870 20 and it was perfect hunting pattern out to 30 with the Fed HW #7.  You should get similar results.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CGhost

Those 1 1/4oz golden pheasants would be money for your range and readily available in #6. But In all honesty if shooting that close #5 LB will be lights out, Heck i'd even try the #5 Double X. Yeah #6 LB's are no where right now, I check ammo seek a few times a day haven't seen any in a long time. Might be time for me to get into reloading and work up a Good #6 load.
The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness.

—Tom Kelly

Greg Massey

That's the kind of pattern i would want at 20 yards , tight ... as you go out it should open up little more ... you have to remember your aiming your shotgun.. If you had more than one turkey turkey coming into your setup and were only trying to kill one of them, then you will appreciate the tighter pattern ... For myself i want most of the shot in the turkey head not all over his body ....

Mr.Jackson

20 yards is really close for a shotgun so that's about what I would expect.I'd try the factory full next and see if that suits ya.How long is your barrel?

Bigfootwolff

I would definitely try the factory full for comparison.  My Carlson's Longbeard .568 with Winchester Longbeard #5s throws a tight pattern like that at 20 yards, so your slightly larger choke might allow for the use of Longbeards, XXs, or other similar lead loads with a more open pattern.  I wanted to jump on the TSS bandwagon for my 20 gauge, but because of the added cost of TSS shells I chose to use TSS in my 410 turkey guns, which makes them legitimate 40 yard guns.  I'm not knocking the OP or anyone that chooses to use TSS in a 20 or 12 gauge, but it is just not cost effective or beneficial for me.  Most of my available shots and set ups will be 40 yards and under, so in the 20 gauge, Winchester Longbeard #5s throw a good hunting pattern at 40 yards, along with Hevi Shot #6s I've had for several years.  Good luck to the OP in getting a good pattern he is comfortable and confident with.