OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Such a Thing As a " Universal " Turkey Decoy Stake?

Started by Turkeytider, February 12, 2019, 09:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLH

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 10:57:32 PM
Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 10:52:00 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 04:49:26 PM
Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 11:50:30 AM
I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but how do you carry them safely? I would think one bad fall and you could Shish kebab yourself.

They go inside the decoy.....decoys go inside a bag...bag goes on my back.

Lots of others ways I can get hurt....the decoy stakes are definately not gonna do any damage ;)
Must be either bigger decoys than I realize or shorter arrow shafts. I am guessing the second.

I guess both...lol
I use a DSD jake and hen, or a deception decoys hen.....the arrow/stake goes in the little hole below the tail (take this for what it is) .... into the body, and it does not stick past the tail.
Actually a very good system.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2019, 05:20:13 AM
Mods , as the OP, I'd like to request that this thread please be closed. The thought that my inquiry would cause hard feelings between folks on the board never entered my mind. I'm sorry I posted it.
It's all good you just need to relax... no need to close this post ... If you stick around long enough everything will work out ... No need for you to be sorry ... IT"S A GOOD POST ... TURKEY SEASON IS AROUND THE CORNER ... IT"S ALL IN GOOD FUN....

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 11:50:30 AM
I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.

This right here
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobble!

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 10:44:39 PM
Quote from: randy6471 on February 12, 2019, 08:00:42 PM
Flambeau makes a decent 2 piece plastic universal folding stake. Usually you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks.

The arrow trick works pretty good and as far as any noise/rattle, it's no different than the old feather flex 2 piece aluminum stakes....just throw a rubber band around them.
That would seem must safer and quieter to be, thanks.

DSD and other companies put a hole near the decoys fan that allow the stake (be it a arrow, stick, or metal shaft) slide into the decoy horizontally, not vertically, so there is no stake exposed during travel. Nothing to get impaled by and it makes for a fast, simple, and quiet storage system.

zelmo1

In a pinch, we use the old arrow trick. It works well for us. If it works, then its right.  :funnyturkey:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gobble! on February 13, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 10:44:39 PM
Quote from: randy6471 on February 12, 2019, 08:00:42 PM
Flambeau makes a decent 2 piece plastic universal folding stake. Usually you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks.

The arrow trick works pretty good and as far as any noise/rattle, it's no different than the old feather flex 2 piece aluminum stakes....just throw a rubber band around them.
That would seem must safer and quieter to be, thanks.

DSD and other companies put a hole near the decoys fan that allow the stake (be it a arrow, stick, or metal shaft) slide into the decoy horizontally, not vertically, so there is no stake exposed during travel. Nothing to get impaled by and it makes for a fast, simple, and quiet storage system.
Thanks for the reply, that explains a lot.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2019, 05:20:13 AM
Mods , as the OP, I'd like to request that this thread please be closed. The thought that my inquiry would cause hard feelings between folks on the board never entered my mind. I'm sorry I posted it.
No need for that, I will go remove my comments. Removed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."