turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions about youth seasons

Started by CDNduckslayer, April 14, 2018, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNduckslayer

Good morning lady's and gents, currently stuck indoors, would/should be out scouting if not for this massive ice/wind storm Ontario is receiving, it's brutal out and suppose to last all weekend turning to snow for Monday and Tuesday. Generator is ready to go just in case..............

With my head still in the turkey woods and my daughter turning 12 this summer she will be able to take her hunting coarse and be able to start hunting with me. She has already tagged along with me for several years for waterfowl and turkeys and she is excited to be able to start taking game of her own. You guys down there have much better programs for youth hunters, Ontario is starting to see the light and added a youth waterfowl hunt 5-6 years ago but that is it for youth hunts.........Sad really...... I know your age level for them to start hunting is much younger as well. We have an apprentice hunter program were youth ages 12 to 15 can take the coarse and then they can hunt with a licensed hunter but they must go off of the mentors tags as well (it is a real bummer with them not allowed their own separate tags). I've already got her slotted into a big water stilt blind hunt for the youth waterfowl hunt this coming September, it is only a one day season.

Anyways kinda rambling on here but the point of this thread is to find out more about your guys youth turkey seasons and get some feedback from you guys on your thoughts about the youth season. I would like to start pushing for a youth turkey season up here. Here are some of the questions I have, anyone willing to give some input would be much appreciated.

What are most guys thoughts on the youth season? Like them or not? (Reason I ask is I know there has been push back on youth waterfowl seasons)

How long are your seasons? 1 day? 1 weekend? Or longer?

When are your youth seasons?  ( I'm going to assume they are all before regular season starts but ??)

How does your tag system work for the youth hunters? How many birds are they allowed? Cost of tags?

I'm sure there are lots more angles to cover and please feel free to add any, as well as any pluses/minuses you feel would be better/worse for a youth season. If I think of any more important questions I may be leaving out I will add to the thread.

I will add that I already had my son go through the apprentice program, what an amazing time of my hunting carrier with memories that will last a lifetime!! Now on to make more memories with my daughter, would just like to make things even better for the futur of our sport!!

Thanks again in advanced for any info that you guys can provide!

dublelung

Mississippi has very good youth season format. Of course some parents take advantage of it and abuse the system but not much you can do about that with our lack of tagging/reporting game. Our turkey and deer youth season open the week prior to regular season. No license required for youth and they can kill the state limit on game which is not deducted from their parent's limit. Youth hunters can shoot jakes where adults can not.

bbcoach

NC has a one week season, the week before the regular season.  No cost license requirements and they have to get their tags (2) and tag and report a bird if killed.  Only one bird allowed during the youth week, the second has to come during the regular season.  Definitely a great program, someone has to continue this sport.

Happy

Just took my son for Wv Youth season today. I am a huge fan of it. Couse we also saw a total of three adult hunters with rifles and turkey calls and not a youth to be found. I wish that that did extend it and did a sat/sunday combo for two weekend but the nice part is he does not need a turkey tag. If he kills a bird he is done for youth day but can fill a second tag during regular season. We are hunting Maryland tomorrow. It is a two day season and we can hunt all day. Hopefully we at least hear a gobble unlike today. All in all I am glad that there is one but it does annoy me of all the adults that decide to start season early for themselves. OK it more than annoys me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

buckmark13

Quote from: Happy on April 14, 2018, 11:22:37 PM
Just took my son for Wv Youth season today. I am a huge fan of it. Couse we also saw a total of three adult hunters with rifles and turkey calls and not a youth to be found. I wish that that did extend it and did a sat/sunday combo for two weekend but the nice part is he does not need a turkey tag. If he kills a bird he is done for youth day but can fill a second tag during regular season. We are hunting Maryland tomorrow. It is a two day season and we can hunt all day. Hopefully we at least hear a gobble unlike today. All in all I am glad that there is one but it does annoy me of all the adults that decide to start season early for themselves. OK it more than annoys me.
That's BS.....get license plates of all the cars nearby and report it. Most likely no one will get caught but if they follow up on the info you provide they may think twice the next day. 

CDNduckslayer

Some great info so far guys thanks! A one week season starting early and zero cost for the youth permit/tags is fantastic!! There is no way Ontario would start up a youth season without any cost........we are nearly taxed to death up here............

That is a real bummer that some adults decide to take adavantage of the youth season, had a few instances like that with the waterfowl youth day up here, guess there are doushbags EVERYWHERE!!

Thanks for the replies guys and others feel free to keep adding info for other states on your youth programs.

Thanks again!

Happy

That's BS.....get license plates of all the cars nearby and report it. Most likely no one will get caught but if they follow up on the info you provide they may think twice the next day.

I did to the extent that I could. No vehicle found nearby and it's almost 70,000 acres.
It's the mind set of the area unfortunately.
Hunters who abide by the law for the most part are an extreme minority. On the bright side the last two years hunting with my boy has taught him a lot and he now wants to pursue become a DNR officer

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

AlleninNM

New Mexico has a youth only turkey season the weekend before regular season starts.  They are allowed to shoot two turkeys.  We also have a mentor program that allows youth to hunt turkeys with a parent/guardian without having completed a hunter safety course. 

What type of pushback are you getting over the youth waterfowl hunt that only lasts a day?

bbcoach

4 or 5 years ago, NC only had a one day youth season, the Saturday before our regular opener but have since given the youth the full week to enjoy themselves without the competition.  IMO NC DNR is doing their best to promote youth involvement in the outdoors without over regulating hunting like some states have.