OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel polishing question

Started by Gobspur, March 16, 2018, 09:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobspur

The sticky in the turkey gun section for barrel polishing, the pictures no longer show up.  What kind of brush do you use to wrap the scothbrite pad around?  It doesnt say.  Im guessing brass wire brush?  When i try a scotchbrite wrapped around a 20 gauge brush, for a 12 gauge barrel like it says, it seems aweful tight trying to get it started (thats what she said lol).  Got all the stuff and just getting started but wasnt sure on type of brush to use.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

slicksbeagles1

I use brass that's what the directions said when I originally did it the first time about 5 years ago you want it tight after you get going it started it will loosen a little

Gobspur

Cool, thanks man.  Figured, just was tight before I started with drill.

bbcoach

20 gauge bore brush and one wrap of scotchbrite.  Put a dab of bore cleaner on the scotchbrite and saturate with Kroil oil.  Turn the drill on and work the bore brush in and out.  Keep the brush saturated and moving.  Work it for at least 5 minutes, run a patch through the barrel and admire your work.  Here's the link at Brownells  https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-bore-compound-kroil-prod1159.aspx  By the way, it works wonders in muzzleloaders as well.

Gobspur

Thanks.  It turned out good.  Amazing how shiny it gets the barrel.

bbcoach

Makes it easier to clean after it's polished too.  Once I did the initial polishing, I normally run through mine before the season begins every spring.  Not for 5-10 minutes like the initial time but a minute or so to clean the bore well.