News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Making a turkey backtrack?

Started by Marc, July 09, 2016, 07:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Fahs

It can be done.
The tough ones that stand in one spot and gobble their brains out for an hour or two are suckered for this. When they break and move off I get right where they were and call. Usually there will be a hen nearby often times on a nest. Has worked for me a few times. Others it off to the races. Lol

hotspur

A thing I do alot on public land can be called backtrack,  if I'm working a gobbler and another hunter moves in  ill leave and go to another  block of woods  I've scouted, if nothing after a couple of hours I go back to the spot I left stop short and make a couple clucks and many times a gobbler backtracks

Cut N Run

Had one come to my calls and he walked past the back side of the tree I was sitting up against.  He was drumming like crazy and his wing tips were dragging through the leaves less than 10 feet behind me.  He wandered off heading along the ridge and I figured he was gone.  He gobbled about 250 yards off and I cutt hard on the box call as I switched sides of the tree. He slowly came back to inside 30 yards and I ended up carrying him out.  One of my top 10 best birds.

Also had another hung up bad for over an hour. He came close to my shooter once, but was behind cover, then went back to where he had been strutting. I eased away from the bird down the creek bed and started cutting hard, to make it sound like the hen was leaving.  This time he walked where the shooter could see and he made the shot. Also a grown gobbler.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Dr Juice

Good tactics there. Thank you for sharing

All The Way!

TauntoHawk

If a bird is moving quickly like he has somewhere he want to be your best bet is still going to be get out in front of him but on a bird thats hung up on you and just slowly drifts off it works well to slip up to where he just was and try and call him back.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>