OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling to Birds before the season.....

Started by FireDoc, March 22, 2011, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you, or have you ever called Birds before the season started....

Nope, never have.
Used to, don't now.
Have, and still do.

Trevor2

While I see what ur saying, it's more than pulling the trigger on a bird. If one bucks up or skunks me then I take it personally and I'm gonna do my best to kill that joker before season is over.         
:you_rock: :welcomeOG:
Quote from: OsceolaLongBeard on March 23, 2011, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: lmbhngr on March 22, 2011, 10:30:55 PM
I don`t tag out every year and I usually hunt 75% of the month. I also will spend most of the season hunting one specific bird if he skunks me early.

Thats part of your problem.
You need to be able to find multiple birds and get on them as well. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's kind of like committing to a relationship when you put all that effort into one tom. Find other birds and know their routes so if bird #1 is acting up, you know where to go to get on bird #2.
This really helps on public land (only land i hunt). if you show up to your spot to find out that the bird isn't gobbling or near his roost cause he got shot yesterday, you just wasted all of your time and investment into something that doesn't exist anymore.
Strutstopper

TnTurk

catdaddy

I hear and understand the arguments about how calling to birds before the season won't hurt anything. However, I certainly don't find that practice to be necessary or particularly helpfull --- so why do it? Also, I admit to being a tad superstitious --- as a result -- I think it throws off bad karma. I don't like turkey to see or hear me before season. I will go to great length's to go around a field to avoid being seen if turkeys are in it. The first time I want a turkey to know I am in the woods is when the #5's reach his head and neck.    

lmbhngr

I`m lucky enough to have several tracts of private farm land to hunt. I don`t "pre-season" call on any of them anymore. With that being said there are always birds to hunt but it`s always that one, that got me earlier, that I keep going after.
'

HogBiologist

Never done it except once the day before season a few years ago.  That was just to find a bird to hunt the next morning.  Did it mid day.  Next morning I went in and didnt get him.  Second morning went in with brother, he shot him out from under me.  Last time I ever hunted with him.  Not the first time he has dont that to people.  I just dont like the turkeys to know I am there.
Certified Wildlife Biologist