OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unkillable gobbler!?

Started by Trevor2, April 20, 2012, 11:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I know this bird is not really unkillable just has been so far lol. Here goes. Got on this bird last sunday morning on the roost slipped within 70-75 yards of him, hits the ground and struts and gobbles with no hens for two hours and wouldnt commit. Get back on this bird this moring and does the exact same thing only this time he almost commits, struts into 60 yards and flies up on a limb to look around. He never sees the hen so he flies off. Im thinking wth just happened. I give him 10-15 mins and he sounds off on the next ridge. I circle over in front of him and get him coming again. Well, guess what, he did the whole limb hop routine again with the same results. After he flew off this time I never heard another word from him. Idk what else to do besides just wait till this ol rascal is so horny he cant stand it I guess. Any suggestions?
Strutstopper

gophert

Hen decoy....then he can see something when he hops on that limb.    :z-guntootsmiley:

mikejd

Wow! That's cool. That's using his head. I have always said to myself why don't they do that.
I agree with gophert give him what he wants. Something to look at. Decoy. I bet he is big and old.
Good luck. You gonna have to take off from work I can't wait until next week to hear how you make out.

Trevor2

Quote from: mikejd on April 20, 2012, 11:33:25 AM
Wow! That's cool. That's using his head. I have always said to myself why don't they do that.
I agree with gophert give him what he wants. Something to look at. Decoy. I bet he is big and old.
Good luck. You gonna have to take off from work I can't wait until next week to hear how you make out.
Ill be back on him in the morning and sunday morning. The war is on now haha
Strutstopper

dirt road ninja

I had some tree hop on me Sunday, but it was away from me. I got too close to the roost and got busted.

For your bird I would try him from a different spot/angle with a decoy and not call very much. Do some wing beats with a hat, throw in a few clucks and purrs and wait. If he answers you he'll come. I've messed up a lot this year by keeping them gobbling on the ground. The hens show up before they make it to me.

Trevor2

Ya that happened last weekend to me but it is driving me nuts bc this bird is HOT! He is gobbling like crazy on his own I ain't doing alot of calling just enough to let him know where I'm at!
Strutstopper

ccleroy

Last one that tree hopped on me made a unforgettable thump when he hit the ground.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It's called turkey hunting not turkey calling. 

Roost him and sneak within 40 yards of his bedroom in the wee hours of the next morning.  Wait til he pitches down and give him a headache.

OR

Deliberately start working him from longer distances and sneak towards him to eliminate the hang-up after you call.

Get creative.  You have to be multi-dimensional if you want to consistently kill birds and taking the same failed approach morning in and morning out is a recipe for additional failure.

Swamprunner

Do not make a call til he hits the ground.

Also, once he leaves the roost tree, he is fair game, and nothing thuds like a turkey

ccleroy

Yep don't call to him on the limb.

mikejd

These are like PREDATOR turkeys limb hopping. As soon as they go transparent well need Arnold.

Trevor2

Quote from: ccleroy on April 20, 2012, 07:33:26 PM
Yep don't call to him on the limb.
Really? I'm not saying doing it or not doing either is right or wrong but the guys I hunt with on occasion( veterans) all give em one soft little tree yelp just to let em no we are there then shut up till they hitthe ground is this what y'all are referring to? I know not to keep calling on limb but what about a little yelp just to let him know were there.
Strutstopper

guesswho

They don't hear anything from me until thier on the ground and I'm where I think he will come.  Sometimes this means I don't make a call for a couple of hours or so.   I don't want him to know where I'm at while he's on the limb.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ccleroy

Quote from: guesswho on April 20, 2012, 08:25:37 PM
They don't hear anything from me until thier on the ground and I'm where I think he will come.  Sometimes this means I don't make a call for a couple of hours or so.   I don't want him to know where I'm at while he's on the limb.

Yep, let me put it to y'all this way.....the same way we can tell the difference of whether he's still gobbling on the roost they can tell a hen is on the ground and before they  should be....another words he can tell the tree calls are coming from the dirt,he's not stupid......I never call before they hit the ground. He knows his surroundings. Like Ronnie said being where he wants a hen to be or where she should be is the name of the game as well.

Old Gobbler

There are going to be gobblers you run across that are soo skittish and educated that they are next to , or are impossible to kill - your going to have to get creative to get these gobblers

Hunting these type gobblers will make you a better turkey hunter or/and drive a hunter closer to being admitted into a mental health facility

You cant kill them all -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon