News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Zink goes pop

Started by agturkey, April 08, 2012, 11:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

Quote from: Reloader on April 09, 2012, 06:01:43 PM
Mudhen, you like the PHD better than the Zink?

For traveling, yes.  The Zink is heavy and bulky, even when 'deflated'.  Not sure the Pocket Hen is a great deal at $40, but it looks pretty good to me, and packs well in my vest.

I knew the Zink's would leak, the displays didn't even hold air at BPS.  I'm sure they will figure something out, as some folks swear by them.

Even DSD had their problems when they were resin.  I've got an old one that is more glue than  decoy.

But, the ACE DSD's are really great I think.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

pullit

I bought a Zink and everything that has seen it (jakes, hens, and gobblers) come to her and accept her as real. It is by far the best decoy I have hunted over. A buddy of mine bought a FlambeauĀ® Flocked Shady Lady Turkey Decoy, and birds would walk right by it to get to my Zink.

Reloader

That's how the PHDs were that I've seen on display around here too, heads flopped over. I think it and the Zink suffer a bit from air expansion. My Zinks are a little cushy on a cool morn, but tight as the sun shines on them and warm them up. Luckily they are stiff enough it doesn't matter. I've even had them with the air valve open and they keep their form on the stake.

That PHD would definitely be lighter.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

jtg88

That PHD looks pretty terrible.  Go to Wal-Mart and pick up one of the Cherokee Sports inflatable hens for about $15.  They look better than the PHD and pack super easy.

1tiogabowhunter

Go DSD all the way!   I have been filming a bunch over the past two weeks and the gobblers come unguled when they see the jake or strutting gobbler with the hen.  I had three big toms pound the heck out of my strutting gobbler to the point where it was covered in blood when they get done with it.   All they did was bend the stake which is easily straightened.  Buy DSD and buy them once.   I will admit it is quite a handful when you are carrying the gobbler, jake and hen along with video equipment :)  Once I figure out how to post video I will put it up.

Sand Man

Another Zink fan here.  Knock on wood, no problems with mine.  I've yet to find a more realistic decoy I could fold up and carry in my vest.  I have a budd with 3 DSD's, and they generally stay in the truck when we are running and gunning.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Jacobson

I would like to weigh in here a little bit. I own DSD and Zink. Hands down I prefer the Zink for in field conditions. As accurate as the DSD anatomical accuracy is, the exaggerated colors and feather detail are a lot better looking on the Zink at a distance in my opinion. My hunting buddy and I both ordered a new DSD hen. When we received them the paint jobs were way less then acceptable. Several phone calls and emails later we were both made happy. So this is quality control both ways. I also agree to purchase American made products when ever possible. Again close up the DSD is more accurate, but once they come in the game is over and I think that the Zink is a better visual for the Gobbler at a distance. Good Luck, they are both awesome decoys. My Grandchildren have bounced and kicked my Zinks and let me tell you they are as tough as a basketball.         

jrseale82

I cant speak for the DSD but I can for the Zink.  I have the breeder hen and the jake.  They work well together and the turkeys love them.  I did have an issue with the head on the hen decoy but I called Zink and it was replaced promptly and at no cost to me.  Great customer service.  I am sure if you had a problem with your decoy they would make it good.

I-55Bandit

I'm a lot more worried about how a decoy looks uo close than far away. You could put a brown balloon on a stake and a gobbler would investigate to a point

VA_Birdhunter

A lot of times you can't go by the demo inflatables you see on the store shelves.  They have been blown up weeks prior or even months...and I wouldn't expect them to stay completely inflated for that period of time...plus I don't think they made them to stay inflated that long.  Most stuff like this will lose air over time.  I personally like the inflatables nothing comes close to being as easy to pack...which I don't use decoys much but when I do its an inflatable...just my 2 cents worth.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

darron

I purchased a zink feeder hen a few weeks ago and blew it up and then placed it in the garage in the bag. It still is holding air fine. I followed directions to the T by blowing it up and running hot water over it in the shower.

Are you not suppose to keep them inflated?

I purchased the HS strut hard body jake because I think it personally looks better than the zink jake. The HS jake looks very similar to the DSD.

NYbassman

Quote from: darron on April 10, 2012, 08:36:23 PM
I purchased the HS strut hard body jake because I think it personally looks better than the zink jake. The HS jake looks very similar to the DSD.

Yes, yes it does. That is because HS strut COPIED the exact shape of DSD's jake and upright hen, although they failed to match the realism on the paint. I lost a ton of respect for HS over that deal.

TauntoHawk

Here are my thoughts on the Zink decoy.

First and foremost I have to praise the Lord that I don't consider a 2lb 14oz decoy TOO HEAVY, it certainly would make it difficult getting around with even just a shotgun and a few calls.

I have no interest in comparing them to DSD there are pros and cons to both but Dave Smith puts out an exceptional product. In fact they are one of the ONLY decoys you don't have to compared to DSD because they are one of the only companies that didn't completely mimic or steal design elements from the DSD's.

I got a very good deal on both my Zink hen and jake so it's hard to attest to the value per retail when I've paid more for a single pot call than I have for both of my decoys. My buddy has the feeding hen and we can fit all 3 partially decompressed in one decoy bag that's really easy to carry. I still have the option of putting a single decoy on my vest for run and gun.

I love the detail and full size making them easier to see in tall grass; mine are durable, and hold air well but I can see how there might be issues with the valves and leaking. I trust that zink would take care of this issue if it ever happened.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

misfire

I have had my Zink decoy for two seasons now, zero complaints and the BEST decoy I have ever had. I dont use it too often, but when I did, it worked
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Dan Mallia

Quote from: NYbassman on April 11, 2012, 05:44:37 AM
Quote from: darron on April 10, 2012, 08:36:23 PM

Yes, yes it does. That is because HS strut COPIED the exact shape of DSD's jake and upright hen, although they failed to match the realism on the paint. I lost a ton of respect for HS over that deal.

Yup.  :OGturkeyhead: