OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4-17-11 Arkansas Bird

Started by basshunter, May 26, 2011, 10:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshunter

Well after a few weeks just peeking around at everyone else's posts thought I would share my hunt.  I had to work the first day and decided to try them out on the second morning of the season.  I started behind my parents house and didn't hear anything so off I went to two other spots nothing.  I went back behind my parents house one more time to make sure.....no gobbles even when calling!  I was about 100 yards from walking in their house when I thought one gobbled.  I listened for a second...yes that was a gobble so I take off in that direction.  I am kneeling on the edge of the field when he gobbles on the pond levee about 150 yards from me.  Frozen like an iceberg I sit there and he walks down the pond levee gobbling his head off.  He walks off the pond levee and to the road out of sight so I yelp three times....He double gobbles and three seconds later he is back on the levee walking back down it.  I am still sitting  there with my gun leaned up on the tree when he pitches across the pond and starts walking right at me.  Still like an iceberg he walks by gobbling and drumming at 30 yards!  I let him get back in the pines and call, he is tearing it up..  He hangs up and won't come back out so I let him walk off so I can reposition.  I move to a crest in the hill slowly and look up and he is standing there at 100 yards looking at me.  I just let him ease off and find a good tree to setup on with shooting lanes.  I call he gobbles this goes on for about 30 minutes so I get a little more excited with him and he can't stand it.  His head comes bobbing through the pines at thirty yards so I oblige and take him...:)  9 1/2" beard 1" spurs.  One I'll remember forever just like all the others!  This has to be the best forum I've ever been on.  Great stories and not any bickering between people I've seen.  Thanks and keep those stories coming.   :newmascot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

vaturkey

Congrats on your gobbler &  :welcomeOG:    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Hognutz

Congrats on a great gobbler and welcome to the O.G... Mike :you_rock: :welcomeOG: :fud: :newmascot:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

LX_Trkyhntr

:welcomeOG:  From a fellow Arkansan!!  Great story, but we don't believe any of it without pics! :TooFunny:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

drenalinld

Welcome to OG from another Arkansan. It is a great forum. Congratulations on the bird.

Basser69

Congrats on your mighty fine bird and  :welcomeOG:

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

turkey slayer