Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you use to kill your first turkey with?

Started by IowaNate, April 28, 2011, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.C.C

Spring 1978 using a H&R Topper/single 28" fixed FULL 12ga. 2 3/4" handloads #4 lead, homemade slate and peg caller and a small wingbone.I set up on the side of a loggin road on top of a large white oak stump that was about 4' off the ground and got lucky and called that gobbler down a hollow to 20/25 yards and laid the hammer down on him!My first spring turkey hunt and I have been hooked on spring turkey hunt'in and turkey call make'in ever since!!

IowaNate

Quote from: S.C.C on April 28, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
Spring 1978 using a H&R Topper/single 28" fixed FULL 12ga. 2 3/4" handloads #4 lead, homemade slate and peg caller and a small wingbone.I set up on the side of a loggin road on top of a large white oak stump that was about 4' of the ground and got lucky and called that gobbler down a hollow to 20/25 yards and laid the hammer down on him!My first spring turkey hunt and I have been hooked on spring turkey hunt'in and turkey call make'in ever since!!

Now that's a memorable hunt!
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

jtg88

I used a .410 (not sure of the brand, it was borrowed) shooting 3" #6 lead loads in the spring of 1995.  Dad called in 2 jakes and I rolled one of them.  I was 7 at the time and have been hunting them hard ever since.

ohiostrutter

Remington 1187 shooting remington nitro mags a 15 lb jake I've been hOoked since

Neill_Prater

First bird in 1979. Killed him with a HR 10 gauge with 36 inch barrel, Remington #4's. Thing weighed like 9 pounds! Sold it and went to a 12 from then on.

strutstopper

1996, I was ten years old at the time. The gun was a Remington youth model 870 20 gauge. The shell I was using was a 3 inch winchester number 5 shot. I had missed two birds already that year and I finally connected on the third one.

njdevilsb

A fixed modified choked 20 gauge Mossberg shooting Winchester #5's.  I actually killed 3 birds with this exact setup, the first being a hen in the fall of 1999.

R AJ

16 gauge Belgian Browning Auto 5 using a Remington 2 3/4" #4 lead improved cylinder 30 yards . killed second bird the next day,

Pause------

bowhunter84

SR1

1987 with a moss.500 12ga fixed full with home rolled 2 3/4in 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's. That was my first season I could hunt. I think it was a hen that fall dont remember now lol.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

trkehunr93

1995 and it was with a Steven's Model 94 single shot w/ Federal Premium 2 3/4" #6's.  Only killed one turkey w/ it but still have it and hopefully will take it out this fall turkey season to hunt with it some more.

BigPeck215

870 super mag, factory xfull extended turkey choke .687, rem nitro 3" 1.7/8oz 5's, the gun had a max range of 30yds killed one turkey with it the first time i ever stepped in the turkey woods, it probably put 25 in the 10" at 40yds lol

grousec

I have been hunting turkey 6 years. My first bird was killed with a Charles Daly Maxi Mag Auto. He had 8 inch beard weighed 21 lb.  I should have kept the gun.  But that's another story.

Tom Foolery

Remington 870 Express 21" barrel, Hastings .665 and the old O.D. Green hull Remington 2oz 4x6 @ about 18-20yds.

I went with a guy and we got out of the truck with this bird hammering away in the dark.  I had never heard one gobble in the dark.  We start walking and we are walking away from the bird.  I was a little confused, but who was I to argue with the man.  We make a big circle and sit down basically right under the bird.  Dude yelps three times, I yelp three times and hear WHOOF!  I look up and here he comes gliding through the trees.

HOLY STINKBAIT he's gonna land on me!

Of course he didn't, he hit the ground and blew up instantly in full strut and walks away to my right.  I have no shot and he looks like a giant turkey top spinning around.  I get shifted to the right and here he comes back to my left, frig.  He is going round and round our decoys as I shift back to the left.  Right about the time I draw down on him he flys into the air. 

AHHHHH, he's leaving!! 

He's not, he lands and goes all ninja on our jake decoy.  After the whipping is over back to strut and become a turkey top, round and round and round.  Right about the time I go to shoot straight back up in the air, hi ya!  on the jake decoy again.  I was about to passout from hyperventialtion.  I somehow got out a whistle and he ran his head up and gave me the old evil eye, so I blew the top of his head off. 

16lbs, 9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs

wildman

1981 or 82 Remington 1100 3inch 30 full choke worked all darn summer to earn enough money to buy it.Hunted with my next door neighbor we went 25 straight morning before we heard a turkey ,he called it up for me shot it with win super xx mag. 6's never forget it .