OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hev-13, 4-5-6, 3.5 shell, Felt Recoil

Started by Stoner, April 27, 2011, 03:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

I updated my Remington Specialty 870 Turkey Shotgun this season. I have killed many many turkeys with that shotgun with the factory choke and your standard Remington or Federal turkey shells. This year I added a Primos Jelly Head Choke and purchased a box of the Hevi-13, 4-5-6 shot in a 3.5 shotshell. Last week I called in a nice mature Osceola, his head was bright red and I lined the barrel up and pulled the trigger and missed clean. He took off running down the fence line. The recoil was very severe, the shotgun flew up and came out of my hands and to rest in my lap. The spend shell automatically ejected. I guess I was not holding the gun tight enough. If I been shooting my old factory choke and copper plated Remington shells I would have killed that turkey. I was very surprised with the felt recoil using the Hev-13 in the 3.5 shell. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

jperrotti

Did you pattern it beforehand? Point of impact vs point of aim may be off. Stepping up like that turns your shotgun into a rifle at closer ranges.

I've never noticed the recoil when shooting a turkey. Do feel it on the range though.
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

Gobble!

Doesnt the bullet leave the gun before you get recoil anyway or am I wrong??

Fastcat

I know my 870 supermag always had the auto eject feature when I fired it from a hunting position!!  Pull the trigger, shake the cartoon birds out of my head, and close the action!  But unless something was wrong shell, gun, or aim it shouldn't effect what goes down range.  Also from my own experience the Winchester HV 3.5s are worse than the hevi's, but they all kick!

SumToy

It may have been that if you let the gun jump out of your hands.  If you hold on to it that will not affect the POI to miss.  If you did not pattern the gun it may have been a very small pattern. Get cheap shell shoot 50 ft with that choke and your other choke. Then pattern the choke you going to hunt with at 40.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

doepee

You didn't shoot it first?  I am assuming you shot heavy shot magblends, 5 6 7's    Magblends kick but I don't think they kick as much as some other , winchester hv , federal copperplated flight control ect..

Borden811

I would bet the POI is off from where it used to be. I was patterning my gun today, and the Mag Blends had a different POI than the Hevi 13 7's by about 10 inches left to right, and 5 inches up and down, at 40 yards. With a tight pattern, that's enough to miss a bird clean. I'd pattern the gun before you head to the woods again. And if you want to loosen some teeth, get youself a box of the winchester 3.5' High Velocity lead version, and let er rip, lol. Those things are wicked.

WyoHunter

Sounds like you weren't holding the gun tight to your shoulder which when you pulled the trigger could have affected POI. No matter you should always shoot to confirm POI with POA.
As far as recoil is concerned I've always preferred a gas operated semi-auto - less recoil and quick followup shot capability.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

tactikel

I always pattern any new shells before hitting the field. In my 835 magblends shoot 6-10" left at 45 yards compared to lead. Stock, my 835 auto ejected magblends due to recoil. The gun rocked my shoulder back and as the gun pitched forward the momentum racked the slide. I installed a Knoxx stock and the problem stopped. BTW the Knoxx stock is the best money I have ever spent. I shot 10 rounds of 3.5" magblends wearing a T-shirt last month and didn't even get a bruise.

gophert

Quote from: tactikel on April 27, 2011, 09:37:05 PM
I installed a Knoxx stock and the problem stopped. BTW the Knoxx stock is the best money I have ever spent.

Totally agree!!!

Sent from my HTC Evo via tapatalk.

bowhunter84

Quote from: jperrotti on April 27, 2011, 03:16:52 PM
Did you pattern it beforehand? Point of impact vs point of aim may be off. Stepping up like that turns your shotgun into a rifle at closer ranges.

I've never noticed the recoil when shooting a turkey. Do feel it on the range though.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

WildSpur

I am now shooting the 3.5" MB's.  For me they kick alot more than the 3.5" Winchester Supreme Elites.

They shoot 3" left and 3" higher than other shells I am shooting.  I did get 193 and 207 out of my 20" 835 and PG choke last week.  I will be rocking them this spring.

Cluck more, yelp less

Number17

Quote from: Gobble! on April 27, 2011, 03:28:31 PM

You are correct.  The only way recoil affects the POI is if it causes you to flinch out of fear of the gun going "bang".
You could set the gun on two sandbags and fire it with a hydraulic trigger, or you could strap it down solid in one of those lead sled contraptions, or you could place the butt stock against a brick wall.......the POI would remain the same in all scenarios.

If this were not the case, guns, especially long range rifles, would be highly inaccurate due to the variations in the way they are anchored before the shot.
Nobody would be able to shoot their buddy's gun accurately.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

jfair

Quote from: Gobble! on April 27, 2011, 03:28:31 PM

Well kinda true.  Actually the recoil is instantaneously felt.  When the load is fired, the force needed to push the lead is pushing  back on the gun also.  Mass of the lead x velocity of the lead = Mass of the gun x velocity of the gun.  This is a simultaneous equation.  As one happens the other also happens.  The reason this does not have much affect on the POI is because the lead is leaving the barrel in a small fraction of a second.  1300fps x 12 in/ft = 15600 in/second.  So on a 23" barrel the shot has left the barrel in .00147 seconds.  Not much barrel jump in that time.

Hey 17.  Ready for Saturday?