Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR built with TSS instead of lead?

Started by Magdump, March 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

Quote from: Phillipshunt on May 27, 2018, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: 30_06 on May 26, 2018, 09:12:40 PM
I wonder why it is considered sniping turkeys at distances greater than 40 yards but hunting elk at distances of more than 100 yards?

Esse quam videri
If you have to ask you will never understand.
Your probably right. After all what could possibly be similar between the two?......kind of makes you wonder if we should even call it turkey "hunting" at all.

Esse quam videri

owlhoot

Quote from: 30_06 on May 27, 2018, 12:26:34 PM
I wonder why it is considered sniping turkeys at distances greater than 40 yards but hunting elk at distances of more than 100 yards?

Esse quam videri
Your probably right. After all what could possibly be similar between the two?......kind of makes you wonder if we should even call it turkey "hunting" at all.

Esse quam videri

What does elk have to do with this? Most elk calling is done during bow seasons,is it not?
That is a close range deal unless I am missing something?
This is also a shotgun sport mostly so short range.

30_06

Quote from: owlhoot on May 27, 2018, 12:56:20 PM
Quote from: 30_06 on May 27, 2018, 12:26:34 PM

Esse quam videri

Esse quam videri

What does elk have to do with this? Most elk calling is done during bow seasons,is it not?
That is a close range deal unless I am missing something?
This is also a shotgun sport mostly so short range.

1. Elk hunting is very similar to turkey hunting just on a larger.....and typically more difficult scale.
2. There are quite a few states that have firearm (rifle/muzzleloader) elk hunting in the rut......off the top of my head Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Montana. There may be more, but you can check those just as well as I can.
3. Not really a close range deal and most people don't get all bent out of shape if you shoot an elk at 100 yards with a firearm......or if they do they don't claim you are not a hunter.
4. Regarding it being a mostly shotgun sport is kind of what I was getting at. The shotgun itself, and the ammo is more than capable beyond the oft-preached 40 yards limit. If everything is capable beyond that magical limit, why belittle others due to personal constraints? Why claim it is no longer hunting beyond some irrational yard marker? At what distance does it become hunting? Does that distance change for other species, and if so why?

I suppose I shouldn't get too worried about all of this. Hunters have been having this argument since I have been hunting regardless of species, all that really changes is the distance.

Gooserbat

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 01, 2018, 02:29:46 PM
There is a point of diminishing returns on this. I have loaded TSS for a few years, but would have 0 interest in what you have suggested. In fact, now that it's available in factory load form I am considering hunting with my old xx 6's again. If you require more than what TSS can already offer to kill, hunt somewhere it's legal to use a rifle. At shotgun velocities, windage and trajectory compensation become very relevant at current TSS ranges.

Exactly what he said
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

How about we keep the challenges of the sport going in turkey hunting .
Personally don't care what distance  the new loads can shoot to .