OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

before hevi shot and longbeards

Started by agent eight seven O, March 16, 2017, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland48

In a 12 gauge it was the old Remington duplex 4x6's. Killed a lot of birds with that old load. With a 20 gauge it was the nitro 4x5x7's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 16, 2017, 05:06:49 PM
My favorite was Winchester Supreme HV 12 ga. 3" 1 3/4 oz. and 3.5" 2 oz. #6 shot. They are still my favorites.  Winchester changed the name to Double X but it's the same shot shell.  They work very well.  No reason to change IMO.
I mostly use longbeards now, but if I was hunting thick woods, I would use the Supremes/xx 1 3/4 oz 3" also, spreads enough I don't have to adjust poa

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

I liked the Winchester surpreme elites. 

SFCSNOW

Quote from: taketheshot on March 16, 2017, 04:54:45 PM
Winchester Xtended Range HD

Yep. #6s.  I still have 7 rounds left. Best factory round I ever shot prior to Mag Blends.

Hersh

Killed a bunch of birds with Winchester XX 3" #6. Loved those.

jordanz7935

Winchester Supreme and Federal Grand Slam,mostly #5s, were my favorite in both 12 & 20 ga.

wvmntnhick

Whatever shells dad had on tap were fine so long as I was carrying a shotgun.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Tom Foolery

Player

I'm an old fart and never even heard of hevi-shot or some of these other loads that seem to be popular now days until I joined this forum a few days ago. I've just always used high brass 4 or 6 lead shot. Usually Remington or XX Winchester.

I have an old model 12 Winchester 12ga with a 30" full choke barrel that my Grandfather bought new in 1926. Got passed down to my Dad and then to me. Not hardly any blueing left on it, it's about the color of an old nickel. It may not look like todays turkey guns but it's killed more of 'em than you could put in one pile.

I bought my "new" shotgun 27 years ago. It's a Remington 1100 20ga with a 26" barrel. It shoots a real good pattern with a full choke and has killed a whole lots of turkeys too. Wouldn't think twice about taking a 40 yard shot with it.

All that said, I don't like taking "Long Tom" (the model 12) away from the farm anymore and got the hankering for a new 12ga this year. Shot some of my kids and grandkids newer guns and settled on a Benelli SBE2 with a 26" barrel. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow!

Still have a few boxes of good 'ol lead 4's and 6's so if it will hold a pattern with those it may be a little while before I give these new fangled loads a try.

Deast1988

Win Supreme HV #4
Or the 3.5in federal #4s copper plated premium pre flight control wad.

Farmboy27

Remington duplex 4x6 and Winchester hv #5. Also used Remington premier #5. (Back when they were dark green with black brass).

owlhoot

Remington 4x6, Remington 3" 5's in 3.5"with 4's. 2 3/4" gun shot Remington  express 2 3/4" 6's .
Later the Federal grand slam loads in 3.5" 4's.
20 gauge Federal grand slam 5 and 6's

PALongspur

Federal Premium 2oz 4s and 5s.

Still have some and shoot them occasionally. Those 4s are bad!

gobbler74

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 16, 2017, 04:42:33 PM
Winchester XX Magnums 2&1/4 oz #5

Same here
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"