turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much cleaning on a new autoloader?

Started by rkm456, June 27, 2015, 10:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkm456

I picked up a new Browning A5 last weekend, and I'm planning on getting it out to the range next weekend. That means I'm hoping to get it ready for the range this weekend. I haven't owned any semi autos before so previously it was, clean the barrel, give it light film of oil, and have a nice day. Any recommendations on the initial cleaning of a recoil operated autoloader?

allaboutshooting

First of all, congratulations! You have a great gun. I recommend that you tear down that gun and clean it very thoroughly. Many new guns have excess oil and grease packed in them to prevent rust during shipping and storage. Over time and with use, that lubrication can attract and hold dirt and unburned powder to form "gunk" that can cause problems. A little work now can pay big dividends and it will also allow you to become familiar with the workings of your gun.

As for the bore, I'd recommend that you deep clean it  http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

Again, congratulations and best of luck with your new A-5.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

rkm456

Thank you as always Clark. I pulled apart the bolt and gave it a cleaning, in addition to a quick cleaning of the bore, I do intend to deep clean it, just didn't have the time this evening. Ran a couple snap caps through it afterwards, but operator error kept me from running through them very reliably. Guess I'm actually going to have to thumb through the manual, this girl's operation is a little more sophistamacated than my old Mossy 500.