News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight.

Started by STP22, March 15, 2015, 02:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all!

I have an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight with a fixed modified, 28" barrel.

Any chance a particular load (Federal Flitecontrol wads, Winchester Long Beard XR, Kent Tungsten-Matrix) could make this an effective turkey gun? I would have stick with lead shot as the gun was made in 1962 and won't risk running heavier (and, harder)-than-lead, tungsten-alloy shot. Also, the receiver is 2 3/4" only.

I can probably assume the yardage would be limited to 20-25-30 yards. Also, I know the patterning board would be the only true way of knowing. I was just curious if anyone else has some experience with this. Ordering another barrel is an expensive proposition as early Ithaca barrels are individually threaded to the receiver. I hope there is an option...the POA and POI is spot on and nothing is smoother than an Ithaca!

Thank you.

Steve

Izzyjoe

If it's a 2.75 chamber you should not shoot the LB's, they are 3" Mags. Most of the turkey loads are, federal, and winchester make some 2.75 turkey loads. I have a box of federal mag shock 2.75 #5's that I plan on they trying when this rain stops. The filte control wad is said to better in more open chokes, I'm gona try them in some of of my older shotguns, that have Mod. and imp chokes. But suspect that  30yds is gona be the about the max yardage with them anyway, cause it is what it is!

Mike Honcho

I have used Federal Prairie Storm 2 3/4" #6 , pheasant loads in 2 3/4" guns.

owlhoot

2 3/4" Rooster XR , #6 may do the trick.
Yardage out to 30 or 40 will depend on your gun pattern .
I know they can be in 5 shot too, not sure about 4 snot?

Ridge Rooster

Killed my first long beard with my Ithica Model 37 Featherlight way back. I stopped on the way to the woods and bought a box of high brass Remington 2 3/4 4 shot at  gas station. Had no idea that I would really get a shot but the turkeys in Eastern Kentucky back then would race to a hen call. That was back before turkey hunting got popular. Have no idea how that gun patterned but didn't much matter at 20 yards it did the trick. Was hooked instantly and know use a Benelli Steady Grip, Burris FF3, Nitro Ammo, and Rhino Choke. Complicated things up a bit but I really enjoy the preparation and the effectiveness of the new stuff.

Thanks for bringing back a memory with this post and sorry to ramble and not answer your question but I would guess that any 2 3/4 turkey load would be fine to 30 or 35 yards, but I sure wouldn't stretch it out any further. You should just get a box or two and test them, let us know how it does.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

zeke632

I'll say if you keep at 30 yards or so it will work. Before the internet, threaded barrles, specified turkey chokes and how many holes you could poke in a circle at 40yds, guys hunted with the shotgun they owned. I remember bird hunters (when we used to have quail) who killed turkeys with improved cyl shotguns.
I'd get some pheasant loads and give them a try.

STP22

Hello!

You're right, Izzyjoe! I mistakenly thought Winchester made 2 3/4" Long Beard XR.

Ridge Rooster, ...I hear you! This old Ithaca had a lot of memories for me, too.

Thank you, all. I will follow your advice. I am just glad my treasured Ithaca has options.

Thank you.

Steve

30_06

I would call Ithaca to verify, but they have told me several times it was ok to shoot heavier than lead loads in my barrels once I gave them the serial number off of it.

STP22

Thanks for the head's up, 30_06!

I have never called Ithaca myself on this...maybe, I should. I have seen (online) several people say Ithaca could not comment on the safety of heavier-than-lead safety in older barrels as the company has changed hands a few times and don't have records of how the barrel was contructed. I should ask a long-time Ithaca gunsmith (DiamondGunsmithing.com) and see what he says.

I emailed both the current Ithaca Gun Company and Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing (Ithaca, New York). I will forward what they say.

Steve

Oconeeguy

Federal Heavyweight comes in a 2 3/4", #7 load. I have seen them at two Bass Pro's. Seems like they would be worth a try.

STP22

Thanks, Oconeeguy!

That's the load I would love to use with this Ithaca. I just want to make sure it is safe for my older barrel (fixed, modified choke) as Hevi-Shot and Federal's Heavyweight are just as hard (or, harder) as steel shot.

Steve

Cut N Run

Steve,  Good luck with your Ithaca 37.  The first gun I turkey hunted with was a model 37R with a solid rib down the barrel.  It was also a 2&3/4 inch chamber, though it had a 30 inch fixed full choke.  I shot Winchester double XX #5s in the TreBark box back in the early 1980s.  It had a maximim effective range of around 40 yards, though it wouldn't compare to what I shoot these days.  I loved that gun (it was stolen when my house was robbed) and miss it. Those pheasant loads should work good if you can't find a suitable turkey load.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Mowoodsman

I'd suggest using the winchester grey box HV #5s or Fiocchi golden pheasant loads.  3" #6s are really good and you get 25 per box. IMO  Just make sure you're getting the gobbler close.  I personally wouldn't shoot past 25 yards using that combo. 
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

STP22

Thank you, Cut N Run and Mowoodsman!

I have read that those Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 loads make great turkey loads. Good thing I have a few boxes of just that.
Sorry about your Ithaca, Cut N Run. That sucks! I understand the sentimental value. Mine was the first gun I ever owned and given to me by my Dad.

Update..Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing approved the use of tungsten alloys such as Federal Heavyweight, Hevi•Shot, Hevi-13.
Just waiting to see what Ithaca Gun Company has to say. I always like to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

Steve

born2hunt

I recently inherited a model 37 with a 28 in full choke barrel. It was my Great Grandads duck gun and I really want to spend some time with it in the turkey woods. I plan on using the Fed #7s, I find it hard to believe I would ever shoot enough through it to cause any damage.

The Fed #7s took my Dads old 26 in improved cylinder Wingmaster to a 30 yard gun so it should do wonders out of my Ithaka.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."