OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First turkey gun and need some help

Started by Hootie26, January 30, 2015, 11:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootie26

So i just bought my first turkey gun of my own. It's a remington 870 sps super mag turkey/predator. What I would like is some input on chokes and shells combos with this gun. I understand all guns pattern different and I would just like to get a starting spot.  I have a box of federal premium mag shot #5 and a box of the magnum blends. I'm also gonna give the long beards and extended range a shot out of the original choke just to see how it patterns

Roost 1

Get something in .660 range.. I prefer kicks Gobblin Thunder.

tomstopper

I have that same gun and mine loves the Ventiilator choke with size 6, 3.5in Federal Turkey Thug ammo. I would recommend you try this first bc both the choke and the ammo wont break the bank and its deadly. Just my opinion but please keep  us posted with what you decide on.

Here is a link for you:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/597594/remington-rem-choke-tube-remington-12-gauge-the-ventilator-extended-ported-turkey

Philippe

.660 Jellyhead and Longbeard 5 or Magblends. I prefer the pattern I get with the Longbeards to be honest.

Phire Phite

Sweet choice of gun.  I want one of those bad too.  I would be fine with just my three turkey guns.....

Also check the patterning page.  Lots of info with pics there.  Pretty sure there's a decent amount of supermag pics in there.

Hootie26

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm new to turkey huntin and call in my first kill by myself last yr with a borrowed gun from my dad. But all these chokes and shots have me just turning circles. I want to be able to not blame my equipment for any failures. So all the advice I can get the better. I don't mind buying the expensive stuff but I hate to buy things and be unsure.

Quackwacker NC

Mine likes the ventilator with long beards #6's both are cheap and will kill at 40 all day long

Bigspurs68

A 665 Indian creek is a great tube in that gun with many loads. Try one if you get the chance.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Troyboy

I have same gun and shoot Indian Creek .665 choke tube with Win. LB 3.5" 6 shot. Get 255 in 10"  @ or yards! This combo is almost too tight, very easy to miss at close range but deadly at 40 yards!

Oconeeguy

I agree .665 Indian Creek, but would add .665 Jellyhead as an equal. Together the best chokes I have tried with Rem 870 or 11-87

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: Philippe on January 30, 2015, 08:35:28 PM
.660 Jellyhead and Longbeard 5 or Magblends. I prefer the pattern I get with the Longbeards to be honest.

This^^ except I use longbeard #4's and hevi13 5's
Romans 8:38-39

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: All good suggestions. I like the Patternmaster code black turkey choke with longbeard #5's. That being said, the Jellyhead is good also. Try a few chokes with different ammo, it will cost a few bucks but you will get the best for you and your set up. Good luck, you are hooked. Al Baker

turkey buster

Pretty much anything listed. I personally like the jellyhead chokes in my Remington shotguns and the SSX in my Mossberg. Shell wise I've shot Hevi Shot for a while until the Longbeards came out and I was impressed enough to save some money and stick with those.

Hootie26

I purchased a down n dirty Haymaker. Got it for 30% off so I figured I would try that with some federals. If I don't get to shooting this thing soon it's gonna break me. I'm the kind of person who wants to shoot what's the best and until I find it I keep buying. Problem is, I may already have the best and don't know bc I can't shoot it.

hookedspur

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on January 31, 2015, 01:30:35 AM
A 665 Indian creek is a great tube in that gun with many loads. Try one if you get the chance.

This is pretty good advice..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions