OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a new turkey gun...

Started by rkm456, June 17, 2014, 02:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkm456

Ok guys, looking for some input. I've got a Mossberg Flex 500, and I like it. It came with a 28 inch barrel, but this spring I got a 20 inch barrel for it which made carrying it a lot more comfortable in the woods this spring. A 20 inch barrel however being that much closer to the shooter made it ridiculously loud to use as the shooter. The rig also lacks a proper optic. That's a long winded way of saying that I want to get myself a dedicated turkey gun, lol.

I don't mind spending money, but good value would be nice. At this point I'm between the NWTF Bronwing BPS and the Benelli Supernova turkey as i think a pump fits the bill, but God knows there are some incredibly tempting autoloaders (NWTF silver, Super Black Eagle II Turkey, and the list goes on)

So folks, without further adieu, let's have you suggestions folks. Oh, and I've got better part of a year to make my decision so more than one suggestion is welcome

vaturkey

Benelli M2 20 Ga is all you need to kill gobblers farther than you think !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

rkm456

Interesting suggestion. Is there a steady grip for it? Another consideration for myself is a used camo M1 at the local gun shop. Although it is a 28 inch barrel. I feel like the weight of it would allow it to carry fairly light in the field.

Edit: Nevermind, a quick trip to the Benelli website answered that question about the steady grip.

Swampchickin234

Whatever ya get, get a 20 gauge....you ask me that a year ago and I would of said youre crazy , I want my 12....after this year, I doubt I ever go back.  ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on June 17, 2014, 04:44:36 PM
Whatever ya get, get a 20 gauge....you ask me that a year ago and I would of said youre crazy , I want my 12....after this year, I doubt I ever go back.  ????

Same here! :icon_thumright:

outdoors

HAVE U GAVE THIS A THOUGHT

Remington Versa Max Sportsman 12 Gauge 22" Barrel Turkey Camo Mossy Oak Obsession

I FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON ONE AND ORDERED THIS , THERES NOT ALOT OF INFO ON THIS PARTICULAR ONE , BUT WHAT I HAVE FOUND, IT SOUNDS VERY IMPRESSIVE JUST WITH THE STOCK
CHOKE .....     GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE   :icon_thumright: 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

RAY

Gotta love a dedicated turkey gun!  :you_rock:

owlhoot

Quote from: RAY on June 17, 2014, 10:05:28 PM
Gotta love a dedicated turkey gun!  :you_rock:
Yes indeed , but can you really own just one ??? ;D ;D

rkm456

A 20 gauge is definitely in the running. Only thing I find a bit disconcerting about them is they almost seem to be exclusively auto loader. I'm certainly not against getting an auto loader, I just find that it limits selection. Of course the off the board selection would be to do a build on something, and then there's always the chance I buy one sometime this year, and another after that, and then another, and then another.....

Some interesting suggestions thus far, keep 'em coming folks!

lowoctane

William @ Sumtoy says the Winchester SX3 in 20 is king at his range...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

RAY

I have a Browning BPS 20 ga that I really like (It's not a turkey gun). But I have a buddy who got a Franchi 20 semi-auto in camo. He loves it!

CrustyRusty

I have a bps Realtree all purpose AP hunter that is absolutely outstanding with Fed htl 6 & 7's and a hevi choke.  I average 170's with it with nice even numbers.  It is my favorite turkey gun, and that's even over my Benelli, 870, and 835.

SCGobbler

I bought my son a Mossberg 500 bantam this year for his first real turkey shotgun.

I have to admit, carrying that vs. carrying my old school original 835 is worlds lighter and I think has good range as well.

I'm thinking about dropping back to a 20 guage.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

trkehunr93

Get yourself a 24" or 26" barrel for that 500 and you'll be fine.  I have a 500 field model that I hunted with for years, has a 28" barrel and I never had any issues with it.  Just added camo tape to it to knock off the shine.  eBay usually has fair deals on barrels especially the 500's.  Mossberg 500's tend to be overlooked in the turkey gun dept.

rkm456

Quote from: trkehunr93 on June 19, 2014, 11:11:33 AM
Get yourself a 24" or 26" barrel for that 500 and you'll be fine.  I have a 500 field model that I hunted with for years, has a 28" barrel and I never had any issues with it.  Just added camo tape to it to knock off the shine.  eBay usually has fair deals on barrels especially the 500's.  Mossberg 500's tend to be overlooked in the turkey gun dept.

I've definitely considered another barrel for the 500, I'd also like a sight for it though, and I've only got one shotgun, so another shotgun is pretty much inevitable. Time will tell though.