OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli SBE II Accuracy Questions

Started by lvetgas, May 13, 2013, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvetgas

I have a new Benelli SBE II that shoots high about 8 inches and to the right about 4 inches at 40 yards.  Different chokes and different loads same result.  I know I could put a Fastfire III on it and compensate for the difference between POA and POI.

My question is, why in the world should I have to put a red dot sight on a $1600 dollar gun?  Do most Benellis shoot different from POI?

I am really to the point of wanting to sell the gun, but what automatic gun brand can I buy and get an accurate gun out if the box? 

Thanks

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It's always the same sob story on the benelli's yet guys continue to buy them for turkey hunting purposes.  Benellis are notorious for having serious poa/poi disparity and the issue is not going to be resolved anytime soon.

Although nellis are probably the most absurdly inaccurate, many guns have poa:poi issues once you start accessorizing them with aftermarket chokes.  In your situation, I'd sell the gun and get a backbored platform such as the browning silver, browning gold, Winchester sx2/sx3 or the Mossberg 935.

Goodluck.

USMC0331

VaTuRkStOmPeR is correct on this. I bought every model Benelli has made and they all had to have either adjustable sights or a Red dot. Your right as for the money they cost they should shoot as good (poi) like the other manufactures shotguns that cost far less. It is the very reason I sold the 5 I had and bought a  Rem. 870 which is dead on and a Rifle with optics.

CrustyRusty

I had a SBE2 and recently sold it.  However, it was a great gun and patterned very well.  The shim kit can help with adjusting POA/I but I used a red dot on mine and since it was a dedicated turkey gun I didnt really care about it being off.  I dont know if it was off since I never checked it for that though.

I replaced that gun with a Browning Maxus.  The Maxus is the best patterning gun I have ever owned for turkey hunting and I have had about all of the major players. Beretta; Benellis, Remingtons and Brownings.

The Maxus is very light and balanced and handles 3.5 inch loads very well with much milder perceived recoil than the SBE2.  I shot both side by side and the difference was notable.

I am left handed, but the Maxus comes pretty neutral and POA/I was spot on for me.  Because of that, I am actually only using a front magnetic hiviz bead, keeping the gun simple and light.  It shoots where I want it, and with the most even pattern I have ever had and I think its the best Browning product to date for turkey hunting.  If you can find the 26 inch barreled All Purpose Maxus with Infinity finish that is drilled and tapped thenI would grap that gun right up.  Its nice having the capability of putting a scope or red dot on the gun if you choose to, but like I said earlier, the gun shoots where it is pointed and it does it in a very light package.

runngun

Plus one on the Maxus. I have one and I am left handed. Shot spot on for me right out of the box!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

nyhunter

My $1600 SBEII shot high and to the right also. This is why I will never own another one. Not to mention it didnt pattern worth a crap.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: lvetgas on May 13, 2013, 12:57:11 PM
I have a new Benelli SBE II that shoots high about 8 inches and to the right about 4 inches at 40 yards.  Different chokes and different loads same result.  I know I could put a Fastfire III on it and compensate for the difference between POA and POI.

My question is, why in the world should I have to put a red dot sight on a $1600 dollar gun?  Do most Benellis shoot different from POI?

I am really to the point of wanting to sell the gun, but what automatic gun brand can I buy and get an accurate gun out if the box? 

Thanks

Have you tried adjusting the stock with the included shims? You can normally get those guns to POA using the shims. If you can't and it's a new gun, you might want to consider taking it to your dealer. If he's a gunsmith or is familiar with those guns, he may be able to correct it for you and if not I'd consider having him contact CS at Benelli USA. There are industry standards for POA/POI.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

PALongspur

I, and four of my closest hunting buddies are shooting SBEII's and only one of them wasn't perfect out of the box as far as POA/POI. And that problem was easily fixed by adjusting the shims.

Whats the big deal?

Old Gobbler

I have a Benelli Nova that might , and I mean might be only about 1-2 inches to the right , its so hard to tell if it is off , the wind or me - but I consider it dead on in my book - out of the many Benellis I have inspected , I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't have anything but a superb machining , rib mount and choke installation -

I have had several turkey guns , out of all of them the nova was the straightest shooting out of the lot , several of the Remington's I have were 1 foot or more off

Several things can make a turkey gun shoot way off

1) Crooked choke installation

2) Off center beads

3) Off center - mis aligned  rib

4) poor fit

you can mess with the beads a bit or have them adjusted or redone - the mid bead on some guns will screw in or up and this will help with the elevation

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 13, 2013, 09:19:34 PM
I have a Benelli Nova that might , and I mean might be only about 1-2 inches to the right , its so hard to tell if it is off , the wind or me - but I consider it dead on in my book - out of the many Benellis I have inspected , I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't have anything but a superb machining , rib mount and choke installation -

I have had several turkey guns , out of all of them the nova was the straightest shooting out of the lot , several of the Remington's I have were 1 foot or more off

Several things can make a turkey gun shoot way off

1) Crooked choke installation

2) Off center beads

3) Off center - mis aligned  rib

4) poor fit

you can mess with the beads a bit or have them adjusted or redone - the mid bead on some guns will screw in or up and this will help with the elevation

The novas have never been the primary culprits.  The vast majority of complaints and issues are with the sbe II's.

870FaceLift

I bought a SBEII last year with a 24" barrel.  It has shot true using the bead sights from the day I bought it without fail and zero adjustment.  I'm no Benelli fanboy, but I suspect you may have an outlier or need to experiment with the shims.  I also have a Vinci and a Franchi Affinity, both from Benelli (or their manufacturers).  I might let go of the Vinci for other reasons, but all three of those Benelli guns shoot where they're supposed to.  The Affinity, which is a 20g, did take some shim adjustment on my part.  It was a pain to disassemble the gun every time, but worth it in the end.

Although I didn't need to adjust my SBEII, the shims and the plates inside the stock can move the POI dramatically.  If I were you, I'd tinker with the shims before you take it back to the dealer for an exchange or what not.  It is a great gun if you get it dialed in.  Why would so many people still buy them at that price if they were all junk, as some would have you believe???
Pass it on...

2much2loud

Can some one explain the shims to me... I don't understand it ... If you are lining up the beads it shouldn't matter what shim is in the gun... You still look down the rib and line the beads up ... I thought the shims where just meant to adjust the way the gun fits the individual.... Does that mean if I have added rifle sights to the rib and I change the shims I have to re-sight in?

USMC0331

You can change the shim with one of the three they give you and they slightly off set the stock to different positions which will change the way your face rest on the stock which offsets how you now acquire slight alignment. I tried these  numerous times on many different Benelli shotguns I owned and it did not help me, however it does not mean it won't help you.  Benelli makes a shotgun specifically for turkey hunting but it is ridiculously overpriced, $2600.00 at Gander mountain. Surly it does not take all of that to shoot straight.

870FaceLift

Quote from: 2much2loud on May 14, 2013, 01:29:35 PM
Can some one explain the shims to me... I don't understand it ... If you are lining up the beads it shouldn't matter what shim is in the gun... You still look down the rib and line the beads up ... I thought the shims where just meant to adjust the way the gun fits the individual.... Does that mean if I have added rifle sights to the rib and I change the shims I have to re-sight in?

In short, the answer is yes, you may have to readjust your rifle sights.  This is a good read and it even mentions the SBEII specifically: http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/do-shotgun-stock-shims-matter?page=1

The different shims and corresponding stockplates that come with Benelli shotguns effect drop/rise of the heel, which can alter elevation of POI, as well as cant of your shooting preference, which can alter windage L or R of POI.
Pass it on...

beagler

I purchased a SBE 2 with a 24" barrel three years back and had no issues with POA/POI. :smiley-char092:
Never Misses