OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7's

Started by oldcreekhunter, March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

Quote from: Longshanks on March 27, 2012, 06:35:58 PM
Quote from: goblr77 on March 27, 2012, 04:01:25 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 26, 2012, 10:39:03 PM
Myles,

That's a super nice gobbler there buddy! 

Thanks Brad.

Congrats! Nice turkey!

Thanks, I appreciate it. My brother and I went again yesterday afternoon and he shot one at 15 steps with the 7's. The top of that bird's noggin was toasted. :OGturkeyhead:

TauntoHawk

hard to argue with the data and results but if you still cant sell yourself on the 7's dont force it and shoot the Hevi 6's.. with a good choke you can get plenty of pellets on paper and have the confidence of extra energy to boot..

at an acceptable range a bird isnt going to tell the difference but shoot what you have confidence in.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gold Spur

Congrats to you and your brother goblr77. Those are some nice birds.. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gold Spur on March 28, 2012, 11:32:25 AM
Congrats to you and your brother goblr77. Those are some nice birds.. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Ditto!  You guys are on a roll already. 

redleg06

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on March 26, 2012, 05:29:01 PM
Still not buying it...place that turkey's head and neck over you pattern, how can you explain no hits in the blue area, the eye, the beak....it could happen BUT not at 35 yards.....really take a look at how localized the damage is.. I've seen this much damage including complete head removals but those where less than 10 yards and they looked exactly like this picture.  35 is a stretch and then some for this kind of damage.

I have to say I was thinking the same thing. I've shot two at 35 yards and under with TSS 9's and not seen that kind of damage. There was a lot of blood and swollen head but not blown apart like that at that distance...and this is shooting a gun/load combo averaging in the 350's-360's at 40 yards...

bird

Boy that fish just keeps getting longer and longer is what I'm thinking.

jfair

Quote from: bird on March 29, 2012, 07:13:24 AM

Gotta remember what we are talking about here.  Hevi 7's are it.  If you can't do this with them,  you don't know how to shoot a shotgun.

;D

Longshanks

Quote from: jfair on March 29, 2012, 09:10:41 AM
Quote from: bird on March 29, 2012, 07:13:24 AM

Gotta remember what we are talking about here.  Hevi 7's are it.  If you can't do this with them,  you don't know how to shoot a shotgun.

;D

Well said.. :happy0064:..just kidding..dont get upset.

oldcreekhunter

sorry i havent commented to my own thread here lately. been busy hunting! and have added a nice 3 yr old to the killed list this morning. shot him at 15-20 yards with the magnum blends. maybe next year ill buy some 7's and see

paladin

Hey oldcreek
If you don't believe hevi 7 will kill at 40 you sure won't believe TSS 9 will kill at 44.
"have gun-will travel"

bird

He's talking about the guy showing half of the noggin gone and says it was a 35 yard shot.  

Longshanks

:deadhorse: the turkey is dead..the yardage on that turkey is not the only embellishment being handed out on this website..seems to me allot of folks got their yardage messed up. After taking a closer look at that turkey..he looks like he was shot twice...second shot..real close.

PS..the turkey I shot at 38 yds didn't look like that one..I didn't notice how bad the damage was until I blew up the pic.. I thought his head was just red with blood.

wmd

My son killed one Wednesday at 35 yards using the 20ga hevi-7s.  He centered his pattern a tad low, but the bird hit the ground with hardly a flutter.  The near side wing had an ugly compound fracture. 

Longshanks

Quote from: wmd on March 30, 2012, 09:16:58 PM
My son killed one Wednesday at 35 yards using the 20ga hevi-7s.  He centered his pattern a tad low, but the bird hit the ground with hardly a flutter.  The near side wing had an ugly compound fracture.  

I shot a turkey this year at 32-35yds with my Beretta 20g Fed HW 7's and was suprised at how it put the turkey down.  I shot the turkey and he didnt even flop. Killing turkeys with 20g 7's for the last couple of years is one of factors that convinced me of the lethality of 7's. Been hunting with them in the 12g for many years.. Bad Medicine.

yelpy

Quote from: Longshanks on March 29, 2012, 10:11:28 PM
:deadhorse: the turkey is dead..the yardage on that turkey is not the only embellishment being handed out on this website..seems to me allot of folks got their yardage messed up. After taking a closer look at that turkey..he looks like he was shot twice...second shot..real close.

PS..the turkey I shot at 38 yds didn't look like that one..I didn't notice how bad the damage was until I blew up the pic.. I thought his head was just red with blood.

Sure does look to be shot more than once. I was thinking the same after taking a good look at it.