turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke for buckshot in 835

Started by coyotetrpr, March 06, 2012, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

With the arrival of the new turkey thug my old 835 is going to switch to a home defense gun. What choke would be best for shooting 00buck? Thanks for the input because I have never shot buckshot.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Five O

Buck shot is not a good choice for home defense. It will shoot through half your house and possibly hit your family members. Dove loads at 10 feet will get the job done just fine

Philippe

Quote from: Five O on March 06, 2012, 08:14:11 PM
Buck shot is not a good choice for home defense. It will shoot through half your house and possibly hit your family members. Dove loads at 10 feet will get the job done just fine

I totally agree with ya, but i keep 3 inch #4 turkey loads in my home defense shotgun.

Five O

Plus if they do live through it theres no way they will ever dig 500 8's out of them :z-guntootsmiley: Leave em a little something to remember you by

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Five O on March 06, 2012, 08:14:11 PM
x-2
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

coyotetrpr

hadn't thought of it this way thanks for the input
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

surehuntsalot

full choke and #4 birdshot in all of my loaded shotguns in the house
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jjenkins

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 06, 2012, 11:36:33 PM
Old turkey shells in an improved cylinder choke in the house. It wont go thru walls and hurt others but will "Hammer" an intruder.

John

x2

tiggere

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 06, 2012, 11:36:33 PM
Old turkey shells in an improved cylinder choke in the house. It wont go thru walls and hurt others but will "Hammer" an intruder.

John

at the ranges you will be using it I would opt for an open choke...I would almost like it better if it looked like the end of Elmer Fudd's gun... :TooFunny:

SumToy

We can fix that up for you.   

Now we have talked about this a lot.   We blow holes out to around 58 to 60 with most guns and a number 9.   Now most rooms in a house is smaller then that.

So sir I did not want to kill him I just wanted him to stop and not hurt us.  That is why I shot him with BIRD shot like you shoot little old rabbits or snakes with.  I have no idea why it blow that hole in him. 

Now in that case if you was to miss after it goes in one side and out the other side of a wall it would not do as much damage to someone else like buckshot would. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

deadhead

Remember it's harder to clean up blood splatter from buckshot than #6's. ;D
just remember they are big chickens.

WW

Use #4 buckshot which has 41 pellets with any turkey choke. It's so tight, you won't have to shoot but one time and they'll be dead right there!

mike103

Bird shot is for killing birds.

Turkey loads are for killing turkeys.

Buckshot is for protecting your family, #1 buck and bigger.

Google the FBI study about penetration with buckshot.

The google the "box of truth" for info about penetration thru sheet rock with different loads. Fun reading. The guy really shoots stuff.

albrubacker

Mike that box of truth site is awesome! Thanks for sharing
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

MossbergMike

yeah I never gave it much thought that site really opened up my eyes and helped me pick a home defense weapon thanks again.