turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by DMP, January 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

I'd try 3.5s if Id have a gun that shot them.
I eat therefore I hunt

dirt road ninja

I'd try'm. If they made a 4.5 inch I'd try that too. More pellets won't hurt anything. Might not make it any better, but won't hurt.

reynolds243

more pellets no doubt, to each his own though. I shot them for years but gave up on them 2 years ago with no regrets. saved money and pain.

ddturkeyhunter

My old gun was an 835 with and after market choke but I can't remember witch one, any way the 3inch shells had more pellets in 10 then the 3.5 past 40 yards. Each gun might shoot different you never know till you spend the time and money on shells and try it.

gaswamp

I'll stick with 3's and 2 3/4

westtennhunter

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 15, 2012, 05:54:56 PM
I'd try'm. If they made a 4.5 inch I'd try that too. More pellets won't hurt anything. Might not make it any better, but won't hurt.

Ditto. Check my scope and pattern shoot with a sled. Never feel the recoil on a bird.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 15, 2012, 05:17:35 PM
The only contribution that I'll make is to suggest that sometimes a follow-up shot can be necessary. I shoot 3" standard loads of Hevi-13 and can get back on target very quickly, should I need a second shot for any reason. Just something to think about no matter what brand or length of shell you shoot.

Thanks,
Clark

Another way to look at the other side of that philosophy is that if the first shot is true which it should be right on the head and neck the extra 1/4oz of payload from the 3.5" shell will create a denser pattern with more multiple hits in the head and neck region to help eliminate the need for a second shot.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Like I have said before and your mileage may vary but there is nite and day difference in the pattern density with the 3" vs the 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in my 835 with Star Dot choke.  

Swamprunner

I may end up rigging up an 870 supermag after I find out how much the Knoxx helps. I just feel like with TSS, 3" is enough

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 16, 2012, 04:16:49 AM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 15, 2012, 05:17:35 PM
The only contribution that I'll make is to suggest that sometimes a follow-up shot can be necessary. I shoot 3" standard loads of Hevi-13 and can get back on target very quickly, should I need a second shot for any reason. Just something to think about no matter what brand or length of shell you shoot.

Thanks,
Clark

Another way to look at the other side of that philosophy is that if the first shot is true which it should be right on the head and neck the extra 1/4oz of payload from the 3.5" shell will create a denser pattern with more multiple hits in the head and neck region to help eliminate the need for a second shot.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Like I have said before and your mileage may vary but there is nite and day difference in the pattern density with the 3,5" vs the 3" Hevi-13 loads in my 835 with Star Dot choke. 

Sometimes you have an opportunity to shoot a couple of birds.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gunman1013

Different opinions for different folks. I shot 3.5 out of my SBEII for a year after shooting 3" out of my M2. Now back to 3" and M2. Still all dead turkeys.

DKA

Never shot 3" shells in my 1187, but 3 1/2 " Shells are the truth in my gun. Would def. try 3 1/2 " shells.

longbeardlife.com

I have both, but prefer my Browning Citori O/U 3 in all day long.  Rhino turkey choke on top with modified on bottom.  This way I can shoot em far or close.  deadly combo with Nitro ammo...

RemingtonRules

3.5 until I am too old to take it

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll show you guys why I say nite and day difference between the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads vs the 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads at 40yds.  

Ok we will call this one nite.  Now this one was shot with a Pure Gold choke instead of the Star Dot, but the Star Dot pattern I shot was just about identical to this one in numbers.  The 3" shells that  I have shot all pretty much pattern like this out of my 835.  

And we will call this one day.  Only 1/4oz more shot.  Now which one would you rather shoot?  Now be real when you answer.  

Now just to prove that was no fluke I'll post another almost as good. 

Now I know these results may vary in how these loads will shoot in different guns and different chokes.  But the 835 is going to keep getting fed the 3.5" #7 loads.  

rebelman