OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by DMP, January 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

3" vs 3 1/2"

I currently shot Hevi 13  3" 2 oz #6s with a jelly head choke out of a 24" 835 and get good results.  Would it be worth it to also try 3 1/2" shells? 

Tom Foolery

I would try the 3.5" shells, can't hurt anything but your shoulder.  :)

ccleroy

Derek, I'm switching to 3.5's for the first time this season....always have shot 3", but more payload= no brainer if you have the opportunity to shoot it. I  mean really at crunch time your shoulder won't feel it.....lol

Longshanks

These are some numbers out of my Berettas:

Hevi 13  3-2-7/  Pure Gold Choke / Beretta Urika

250 in a 10 in circle at 40yds

Hevi 13  3.5-2.25-7/  Hevi 13 Choke / Beretta Xtrema 2

300 in a 10 in circle at 40yds

The tricky part is finding the right combo for each gun/ choke/ shell.  For the most part whether its 250 or 300 it spells dead turkey. :you_rock:

chatterbox

Quote from: ccleroy on January 15, 2012, 09:39:01 AM
Derek, I'm switching to 3.5's for the first time this season....always have shot 3", but more payload= no brainer if you have the opportunity to shoot it. I  mean really at crunch time your shoulder won't feel it.....lol
Crunch time.... That sums up a 3.5! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

nyhunter

Well you'll most likely get more hits "BB's in the head" with the 3.5" but if your current setup is workin for ya why spend the money? now if you need to buy more shells then i would try them. Oh and your gonna want to buy a good recoil pad for that mule because its gonna kick ya.

DMP

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I need to get some shells for this spring, I just hate to do another round of patterning with 3 1/2" shells.  May have to borrow someones led sled. ;D

West Augusta

Best thing I did was go to 3.5" MagBlends.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Swamprunner

Ricky, I am going to 3" TSS. The 3.5" will knock you in the dirt, and you WILL flinch. I am tricking out an 870 with a Knoxx.

ccleroy

Quote from: Swamprunner on January 15, 2012, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: ccleroy on January 15, 2012, 09:39:01 AMDerek, I'm switching to 3.5's for the first time this season....always have shot 3", but more payload= no brainer if you have the opportunity to shoot it. I  mean really at crunch time your shoulder won't feel it.....lol

Ricky, I am going to 3" TSS. The 3.5" will knock you in the dirt, and you WILL flinch. I am tricking out an 870 with a Knoxx.

Lol, awe its not that bad ole soft shoulders......lol.....I have been toying with the TSS idea but I have no one  close that loads it, I would love to find someone to give me a price on loading some TSS 3.5" 6's.

bawana

Yep, go with the 3.5's, and get a lead sled!

rebelman

I'm thinking about switching to 3.5" but only because I want to buy a new gun.

CASH

Obviously turkeys have been killed for years without 3 1/2 in shells.  I shoot them just because I like having the extra shot.

Sure they kick when you pattern, but nobody feels it when you shoot a gobbler.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

davisd9

Make sure you do not blow your pattern with them.  I jumped on the 3.5" bandwagon for a while and just no real need for them.  I also shoot a 835 24" barrel with a Star Dot and the 3" Mag Blend are all I need.  It is fun to watch a turkey get hammered up close with a 3.5" but patterning them was giving me bad habits and I believe you should pattern in a hunting type situation, not a bench and leadsled. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

The only contribution that I'll make is to suggest that sometimes a follow-up shot can be necessary. I shoot 3" standard loads of Hevi-13 and can get back on target very quickly, should I need a second shot for any reason. Just something to think about no matter what brand or length of shell you shoot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."