turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pulled the 835 out today for some fun

Started by fountain, July 04, 2011, 09:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

while working on my tss loads i have been trying to find the right choke.  i had another one to try today, but first i decided i would warm up by burning a few hevi 13 7s.  

first shot was with a borrowed star dot..336 in 10 and 230 in the 20

second was a 676 sumtoy..it was a more open pattern with 303 in the 10 and 239 in the 20..very, very even and well distributed..overall beautiful

next i tried a 670 sumtoy..figuring i would blow the pattern little, but not as bad as i though,  first impressions of the pattern were not good until i counted.
330 in the 10 and 221 in the 20.  

last was the tss..better than last time, but still not what im looking for.  that stuff is turning out to be a guessing game for me.  

final thoughts..heavy 13 is good stuff, star dot choke shoots good, back to the drawing board with the tss.  all these chokes did very well and will make great killers..the only true way to test them is by shooting them for an average, but im not after all that...there is no question whether or not they will put the pellets down range looking like an army swarm of GA gnats.  honestly..they all prolly would perform bout the same on average.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

fountain

Top pic is star dot pattern and bottom is 670 Sumtoy

ILIKEHEVI-13

Anytime you can take that same load and put 550 shot or more inside a 20" circle you are smokin in my opinion.  That's based on my findings with any choke.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Britton40

Glad you got to pattern the Stardot.  Put up a picture of the .676 Sumtoy.

fountain

the 670 and star dot were over 550 and the 676 sumtoy was 542..i thought the 20" coverage on all were pretty dern impressive.  
btw..i knew you would be the first to reply!!!!!  naw, seriously i wanted to shoot a star dot once to see waht the hype is about.  now i know and it is nice.  i doubt i will be changing over to one ..several reasons..main one being that they are hard to find and generally and the folks that sell them know what they have and they sell pretty high.  definately not knocing them either.  any of the 3 shot today are prolly overkill.   ifi had to choose a choke based on todays shooting it would be...none of em..there is one more that i think will do better for coverage and still give good, tight numbers..with the heavy 13 7s that is..

fountain

i will get it tomorrow..past my bed time!  i will also get that choke back to you asap. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Since I like to talk about 20" numbers, 573 shot has been my best with that same load.  And it wasn't a Star Dot.  It was a Pure Gold .670.  But the problem is it won't out shoot the Star Dot consistently from what I have seen.

I'll have to shoot a lot of shells to beat that one.  Either that or shoot on a 90 degree day.  

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Buxndiverdux

What size TSS shot/choke isn't working so far? I'm interested because I'm getting ready to try some myself.

fountain

Quote from: Buxndiverdux on July 05, 2011, 03:59:55 PM
What size TSS shot/choke isn't working so far? I'm interested because I'm getting ready to try some myself.

Its the tss 9s.  Just gotta figure out what constriction it wants.  Tried a 698 and it blew it and the 720 seems a little too open for me.  I will get it right here shortly.   I have 2 835s to do and then gonna sell/trade an 835 for a 20 ga 870. 

fountain

Here is the 676 pic..an open pattern..but I drew the dern circle off-center of the densest shot pattern.   It is still pretty evenly spread, but it looks even better in person and I could redraw it and make it look better highlighted for here but im scared it may all run together then.  This goes to show what you may can expect with these chokes from a tight 670 to a more open 676.  Although I believe the 675 gives the best overall patterns ..there are 2 different internal layouts made for the 675 and both do pretty good and give even patterns

There are a few more chokes out there from other companies I  wouldn't mind burning powder through, but don't have yet.  I will eventually.   I just like shooting and counting!!!! 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Britton40

Im using a Kicks 675 in my 835.  I also use a Kicks 675 in my Browning and had one in my Xtrema 1.  I guess the bore in these guns are pretty close to each other.  Great pattern.  Thanks for posting. 

fountain

Britton if you plan in shooting the hevi 13 7s, you see the patterns.   If it were me I would go with one of the above chokes.   Not saying your kicks will not work..cause im sure it will, but these chokes shot above produce consistently.   There are several options on the Sumtoy,  but since that star dot is yours, I think I would stick with it.  It does shoot as good as I have read about.   For the nitros, go more open.  I went all the way to 698 and got great patterns with the 51013a loads.  I have yet to het the 517t loads to produce the patterns I know they are capable of...but that's another long story!
The bore on that 835 may be a little larger than the rest you have there.   Patterning a gun to find what it like in both the choke and shell department take a good bit of r/d research..for me it shooting a lot.  Many helpful patterns to look at on here.

I post my results here to help inform others of my results with whatever given equipment I happen to use hoping that it may help someone out and point them in the right direction if they happen to need a little starting up advice.   I know I have sure asked for it and im sure im not the only one. 

Britton40

I think you took my comment the wrong way.  I agree with you on the Hevi 7s.  Star Dot all the way.  My point was, I find it interesting that of the three different guns I have patterned, I always like the 675 choke diameter.  That's all.

Again, thanks for the posts and pictures.

fountain

o, i agree all the way..go with what works and for me in the 835 the 675 +/- works good with the hevi 13 7s.  i havent shot a lot of different guns turkey hunting, but i didnt mean anything towards you in any way.  what i was saying is that i hope that maybe i could help someone out that may want to know what xx choke will do with yy loads..thats all.   i have some other guns that would make great turkey guns, but the 835 are reliable and tough as woodpecker lips...the big bore is a great help as well..everything points to a great patterning gun overall that is just right for turkeys with me.

i will ge that choke in the mail tomorrow..thanks for letting me give it a try.  im a beleiver now thats for sure.