turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The heck with calls

Started by roosterpull, April 03, 2011, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roosterpull

Calls are great. I have my favorites, such as Primos Power Crystal, but my biggest thrill is if I can figure out a big ole tom and whack him without ever making a sound.

swampgobbler

i'd have to disagree.... not fun at all

West Augusta

Fun for me is seeing how far I can call them in. The further the better. I love to hear them gobble.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

doepee

I think calling them in an hearing them gobble is the most fun , then you put the hammer to them... :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: doepee on April 03, 2011, 08:12:49 PM
I think calling them in an hearing them gobble is the most fun , then you put the hammer to them... :icon_thumright:
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

neal

Yep calling them is what I like, but I will say I have a couple of times just had to figure out a bird that would not respond to calling and wack em. But whatever you choice, just happy you can make it out!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ericjames

Quote from: West Augusta on April 03, 2011, 06:53:54 PM
Fun for me is seeing how far I can call them in. The further the better. I love to hear them gobble.

:agreed:

I they dont gobble I just about will head to the house,I just love the gobble followed by the ol spit n drum. Me personally I wont shoot one even at close range where I hunt if he dont gobble. but I am the only turkey hunter on around 2000 acers ,now on the public land I take them how I can

WillowRidgeCalls

Shootin a Tom without calling him in is kinda like going to Wal-Mart and buying a Butter Ball.  :fud:  :newmascot:
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

roosterpull

Shooting a Tom without calling him is the pinnacle of woodsmanship.

swampgobbler

No, its the pinnacle of patience and luck.  If you are advocating stalking a turkey, I will agree that a certain amount of skill is involved. But in my neck of the woods, stalking will get you a face full of number 5's.

jshively

To each his own.  For me I like to call and work the gobbler into me.  That is the thrill, the shot is just the ending note.  The only kind of turkey hunter that gets my goat is the kind that tries to sneak in on a bird I am working.   :smiley-char092:

Nimrodmar10

Around here we don't call that turkey hunting we call it bushwhacking.

barry

If ambushing birds is your thing, that's fine and it's perfectly legal.
But... I'm a caller, so to me turkey huntin' without a call is sorta like
going to the drive-in without my girlfriend, I ain't gonna know
what to do with my hands and my mouth.

roosterpull

Hope everybody has a great season. I'm off for three weeks beginning April 18.

willy8457

If i wanted to ambush something i would go deer hunting,  Being  part of the game is the fun part of hunting turkeys. I don't  hunt turkeys, I Make them hunt me.