turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which choke for LB #6?

Started by John donovan, December 16, 2014, 10:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John donovan

Will a remington SFT be too tight for these especially at 20 yards and closer? I'm thinking of using these but if I can save a a little cash and not have to buy a new choke that would be awesome.
Remington 870 express

laker

If you have a Remington SFT then I would try different kinds of shells and shot sizes to see what works best. It is going to be a lot easier/cheaper for you to find a kind of shell that shoots well out of that choke than it will be for you to find a choke that shoots those shells well. I have never used the choke you are talking about but it may pattern that shell good already.

If buying a new choke is an option then a lot of people on here have good luck with those shells out of Indian Creek, Jellyhead, and Hevi-Shot turkey chokes. Somewhere around .660-.665 constriction would be my recommendation on a place to start.

John donovan

I already have a remington mod. and was just curious if I could make that work.
Remington 870 express

gwa

Longbeards seem to shoot tight up close no matter the choke, they just stick together it seems.

Denny

SumToy

Quote from: gwa on December 16, 2014, 02:04:52 PM
Longbeards seem to shoot tight up close no matter the choke, they just stick together it seems.

Denny

I would run normal Winchester load if I was going to stay with in 30 yards.  Step up to the Win XR for the longer stuff.  Then If you find you cant kill him very dead go with something in the 650 rang. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gwa

alclark2

If you like the LBs but they are too tight... Try a different buffered lead load like the Federal Turkey thugs. Find them at walmart.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

allaboutshooting

Quote from: John donovan on December 16, 2014, 10:45:56 AM
Will a remington SFT be too tight for these especially at 20 yards and closer? I'm thinking of using these but if I can save a a little cash and not have to buy a new choke that would be awesome.

That's the flush mounted Remington SFT that you have? That's a pretty good factory choke that Remington supplied with some of their turkey models.

With that choke tube at the range you're mentioning, I'd just use some #6 lead shot, maybe the less expensive Winchester shells. The 1.75 oz or 2.0 oz will work pretty well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

John donovan

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 17, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: John donovan on December 16, 2014, 10:45:56 AM

That's the flush mounted Remington SFT that you have? That's a pretty good factory choke that Remington supplied with some of their turkey models.

With that choke tube at the range you're mentioning, I'd just use some #6 lead shot, maybe the less expensive Winchester shells. The 1.75 oz or 2.0 oz will work pretty well.

Thanks,
Clark

I was beginning to lean that way. Thanks Clark
Remington 870 express