OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Safety Issue with Scoped 835

Started by davisd9, June 28, 2012, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with a Simmons Pro-Diamond scope on it.  When using the gun I can very easily take the gun off safety but was having issues putting it back on safety after the shot because the scope was in the way.  Overall it was not a big issue but there were times that I was not comfortable after shooting a bird and trying to get the gun back on safety.  The safety was a bit stiff to begin with.

I started to search for a way to correct this problem and I am happy to say that I have found a safety that fixes my problem of shooting my 835 with a scope.  ;D

I have heard others on different sites express the same trouble with their 835 and a scope so I am going to spread my fix to the situation.

The simple solution is a tactical safety from Brownells.  
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42121/Product/MOSSBERG-500-590-930-935-TACTICAL-SAFETY

It says that it fits the Mossberg 500/590/930/935 but not the 835.  I even submitted the question as to how would it fit the 935 but not the 835.  They said it would not per the manufacturer.  

Brownells has a 100% satisfaction guarantee for any reason so I decided to get it and try it out and it works great on the 835.  

I hope that this helps other 835ers that want to or do use a scope on their turkey gun.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Skeeterbait

I can see that wide one being useful with the low mounted scope.  I do not use scopes but I do use this safety on two 835's and a 500 and like it alot.

davisd9

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 28, 2012, 06:14:35 PM
I can see that wide one being useful with the low mounted scope.  I do not use scopes but I do use this safety on two 835's and a 500 and like it alot.

dirt road ninja is having that safety put on his 835. He does not use a scope either.  Glad to hear a good review on that safety!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mohall64

Thanks for the info on this safety.  How difficult was it to install?
He will only be bigger next season!!!!

davisd9

It is very simple.  You need a medium bladed Flat head screw driver to take out the screw of the old safety.  Be careful when you are doing this because there is a small ball on a spring right under the safety.  Take the old one off, stick the ball on the spring, and then line up the new safety, and screw it down.  The new safety came with a phillips head screw.  Took 5 minutes tops.  Good Luck!

BandedSpur

Buxndiverdux

davisd9

Been seeing a lot of individuals wanting to build on their 835s.  Decided to bump this up in case anyone is interested in the tradional scope.  Thanks!

Mossberg835

Skeeter bait will the factory screw work with this safety or do you have to purchase another screw?  I just bought the safety but no screw comes with it.

davisd9

Quote from: browingshooter on January 11, 2013, 05:08:42 PM
Skeeter bait will the factory screw work with this safety or do you have to purchase another screw?  I just bought the safety but no screw comes with it.

The factory screw should work fine with it.  I have switched out a few safeties and never had a problem.

Mossberg835

Got a new safety for the 835.  When I took the old safety off there was the ball in under the safety but no spring.  I didn't buy a spring so I just put it back the way it was with the new safety.  Is the spring necessary?  I can slide the safety up and down and trigger seems to work properly with it the way it is.  My 835 is one of the earlier models that has no ports so I don't know if safety on those did not come with spring.  Any info would be appreciated. 

davisd9

I have an older Mossberg auto that sounds similar to what you are speaking.  I think you are fine.  Make sure your chamber and magazine are empty, take it outside with it pointed in a safe direction and work the safety and trigger.  As long as the safety is workin fine in this situation you should be good.  I think the older auto has like a little metal disk that is shaped like the safety, I could be wrong because it has been a while back since I messed with it. 

As long as you put everything back that was there then you should be good.