turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going to give #7's a try

Started by zhlhunter, June 16, 2012, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhlhunter

After reading on here about the numbers everyone is getting with #7s I figured I would try them out. I have a mossy 835 with  24'' barrel, and a gobbler max .675 choke. I was thinking about trying this combo out to see what pattern I can get. If this does not work out for me I may go with a star dot or a ic choke. What would u guys suggest, thanks in advance

DirtNap647

i  like 7's i prefer the pure gold .670 in my 835 seems to be the best choke for my gun i tried the ic and the  star dot, either way still a turkey killin combo

dirt road ninja

I'd try what I already have first. I've tried the JH, IC and Stardot. The SD shot the 7's the best. IC beat it with everything else.

captin_hook

I'm gonna give the 7s a try too. I hope I like em. I bought a pile of em. I couldn't pass up the deal.

decoykrvr

I hope you are all referring to the EnvironMetal, Hevi-13 #7's as opposed to the Federal FC Heavyweight 7's.  I've invested way too much money and time on the Federals w/ three different turkey guns and numerous choke combinations, and have yet to find a combo which out-performed the Hevi-13's in any of my rigs.

captin_hook

Yessir, talkin about hevi 13, 3.5 inch 2.25oz #7s. I haven't shot em yet, I still have some 6s left.

dirt road ninja

If they made a 2 1/4 oz Hevi 15, I'd give them a try.

decoykrvr

Due to the decreased number of pellets in the Federal HW shells because of the shots density and lower payloads,relative to the Hevi-13's, I never anticipated extremely high shot counts in the 10".  As an "old school" lead shooter, I evaluate my patterns based on the old adage that if there are baseball sized holes in the pattern core, "Throw it out as a turkey hunting load."  Unfortunately, even after numerous conversations w/ Rochelle Poore at Federal and following her choke recommendations, I've been unable to find a load/choke combination with which I would hunt.  The best choke I found for the Federal HW, per Clark's suggestion, was a .643 SSX, but the patterns had holes within the 20" ring, and frankly, weren't even close to the Hevi-13's patterns.  For years I was a field tester for Federal, so there is no anti-Federal bias, but I get too much shot to shot variability w/ the Flitecontrol wad.  I've got a bunch of both 31/2" and 3" Federal HW shells which I'm on the verge of sacrificing for the shot to reload.

bbcoach

pdaugherty

If you can try and shoot the 3 and 3.5 #7s. I've helped a lot of people pattern their guns and have found at times the 3 actually patterns better than the 3.5
Either way you're not going to go wrong with the #7 HEVI 13.

bigdale

Very true Pete. I have also noticed this in many guns, but I am shooting the 3.5's out of my SBE2 and getting awesome results. But, for the original poster, I would recommend trying the Hevi13 choke along with your other 2. The Hevi13 chokes are designed for specific guns.