OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

factory full and hevishot

Started by tha bugman, April 09, 2012, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I think I am about to get another turkey gun..870 Express Magnum....can I shoot a full factory choke with hevishot?  Someone told me it was too tight.  It has a modified with it...would this be better?

mightyjoeyoung

The factory full, as long as it's proofed for steel and HTL shot should be ok to shoot with hevi shot.  It should be marked on the side of the choke, but then it might not be either.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Reloader

Turkey loads, even HTL work fine in flush full screw in chokes. You're not going to have a super tight pattern, but you'll get much better range than lead.  Even good to 40yds in some guns.

Wingbone

I think Remington super full comes in two versions. I got one last year that said Super Full Turkey Lead Shot Only, then I got another one with a different gun that said Turkey/Predator Wingmaster HD Super Full. I think the HD Turkey/Predator is the only one that they recommend shooting HTL out of.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

mightyjoeyoung

The OP is asking about the factory full choke, not an aftermarket super full.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

dpittman

some 870's only come with turkey extra full not factory flush full maybe that is what he meant.

tha bugman

What I meant was a regular rem full choke flush with the barrel.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tha bugman on April 09, 2012, 03:38:02 PM
I think I am about to get another turkey gun..870 Express Magnum....can I shoot a full factory choke with hevishot?  Someone told me it was too tight.  It has a modified with it...would this be better?

A factory full choke in that gun is .690 and that would be considered very open for a turkey choke.

Turkey chokes can easily range from .643 to .675 for that gun, so the full would not in any way be too open.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."