OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 with IC .675 Longbeard vs Apex or others?

Started by YukonC, January 05, 2020, 01:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonC

I have had my Mossberg 835 for 2 seasons now which was a move up from a 500. It is the 24" util-mag turkey version with the stock choke. I have been shooting Long Beard XR #5s and have taken 2 birds at 50yrds. I have not patterned or polished the barrel which is my project this winter. I also purchased a Williams site set to make it adjustable in case the zero is off. My question is this, is there anyone out there with experience with the 835 with the Indian Creek choke I have and shooting the Long Beard #5 and have good pattern at 40-50? I am intrigued by the Apex 3 1/2 #9s but I'm I am not sure that's the right size or worth tripled the $$ of the long beards? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyHeadhunter

Sounds like there's no need to change a thing with that original setup. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

ol bob

3 1/2" TSS #9 is overkill on any turkey in the world.

bbcoach

I'll tell you from experience, the 835 and IC .675 is one of the best combos for killing turkeys there is.  The LB's in 3 1/2's will kill birds for you well past 40 yards.  I would deep clean and polish your barrel and check your POA/POI with dove loads at 10 to 15 yards and correct if necessary.  Then move your target to 40 yards and shoot a 3 1/2 LB #5 and #6 and see which you like better.  I'll bet the 6's will surprise you.  TSS in a 12 gauge is Way Overkill and Too Expensive IMO.  If your using a 20 or .410 then it definitely levels the playing field.  Good luck and keep us posted.

KentuckyHeadhunter

What bbcoach said.  LB #6 3inch is all I need for a 12 ga.  And I have the the 835, same exact model, but using the Carlson's Longbeard choke. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

YukonC

Quote from: bbcoach on January 05, 2020, 01:51:30 PM
I'll tell you from experience, the 835 and IC .675 is one of the best combos for killing turkeys there is.  The LB's in 3 1/2's will kill birds for you well past 40 yards.  I would deep clean and polish your barrel and check your POA/POI with dove loads at 10 to 15 yards and correct if necessary.  Then move your target to 40 yards and shoot a 3 1/2 LB #5 and #6 and see which you like better.  I'll bet the 6's will surprise you.  TSS in a 12 gauge is Way Overkill and Too Expensive IMO.  If your using a 20 or .410 then it definitely levels the playing field.  Good luck and keep us posted.
I have some target loads I'll start with and then I will pick up a box of #6s to try. Going to be a sore shoulder day... what are the overall thoughts on weather temperature variances on patterns? It is winter here in IL but we do get 50 degree days here and there.

YukonC

I forgot to mention that the birds I have taken so far was with the stock choke so hopefully the IC is that much better.

rakkin6

I have the exact same setup with the exception of my gun having a red dot. I get great patterns with the IC with #5 and #6 longbeard XR. I bought my 835 last spring before the season started. Can't remember the exact number of pellets in the 10" circle but I want to say it was about 180. I will see if I can find the pictures I took and post them on here. For that reason I can not justify $50.00 for a box of 5 shells. If I do my part then my setup is just fine. The only way I would consider paying that much is in a 20 gauge. I am not trying to say there is anything wrong with TSS I personally just don't see the need in it with the patterns I am getting now. Just my .02
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

bbcoach

C, IMO you have one of the best guns and chokes for turkeys.  The 835 with the IC, .670 Pure Gold, .675 Sumtoy, .676 Stardot and SSX chokes are money with most loads.  Longbeards in 3 or 3 1/2's are one of those loads.  Get your POA/POI issue checked with dove loads and then shoot those LB's.  As temps rise, so will your numbers.  With 3 1/2 6's, you should see around 200 in 10 at 40.  If you don't have a recoil pad on your 835, I would invest in one.
One other thing, go to the 12 gauge Mossberg pattern pictures posts and you should see plenty of pics with 835's, LB's and the IC choke. 

YukonC

Great thanks! Does the POI change with weather? If I zero at 40 degrees and shoot at 80 will there be a difference?

rakkin6

I have never had an experience with it changing. It might a little due to barrel temperare. But you are shooting a shotgun at 40 yards not a .300 mag at 800 meters. Here in Tennessee my season starts the 3rd Saturday in March and runs until the second Saturday in May. So when I pattern my gun at the beginning of March it is still pretty chilly compared to May and I have had no issues.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

trkehunr93

I used the stock choke, .695 I believe, this past spring in my 835 with Fed. TSS 9's and that threw a great pattern.  I'm sure the Apex's would be about the same.  3.5" however is overkill with TSS and you may even want to look at the Apex 2 3/4" loads, there 2oz loads and thru another gun I have that's only chambered for 2 3/4" they worked great thru a Rhino choke I have on it. 

davisd9

3-1/2" shells are over kill with any type shot.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

YukonC

I like them.....

Gooserbat

You don't need 3.5" tss shells.  I shoot 2 3/4 2 oz of #9 and it's all that any turkey inside of 70 yards will need.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.