turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many springs ??

Started by BowBendr, February 15, 2017, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Just curious....what number of springs is this for you in the turkey woods ?

This year will be my 40th spring. I started with my Dad when I was 8. He was a deer hunter and knew little about a turkey. There were only a few spots in our mountains that held birds. I had a friend in school whose family seriously hunted them in SC, I wanted to be like my buddy so Dad accommodated me and we tried to get after them ourselves, without much success.

My how times have changed...no thermacells, no dekes, no pop up tents. A single shot and a few 2.75" number 4's. Didn't get any camo until I was about 16, usually woodland, but you were super cool if you could find some tiger stripe at the surplus store. No mouth calls around my area, hardly any pot calls and a nice box call was my only true treasure.

Its about this time each year that I look back and long for simpler times...it's been a long time...40 years. Wow, hard to admit sometimes that you aren't a kid anymore and the world is changing quickly.

How many springs will this be for you ??

Fullfan

This madness all started for me back in 1976, something like 41 years WOW ...

Things have come so far it is almost crazy
Don't gobble at me...

Fullfan

Quote from: Fullfan on February 15, 2017, 07:52:32 PM

Things have come so far it is almost crazy I did not even have a drivers license.
And at that time there not many places in PA where you could kill a spring gobbler.
Hunted with my fathers single barrel 10 ga
Don't gobble at me...

trkehunr93

Yoder409

I'm just a young buck...............

I believe this will make the 38th spring season for me.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Rzrbac

I believe this will be 31 for me. Killed my first bird in blue jeans. Only had a mouth call, box calls were expensive, at least for me compared to a mouth call.  I had a piece of camo cloth I cut holes in and tried sewing around the frame of some old busted sunglasses I come up with. 

One call in my vest probably cost more than I spent in my first 6 or 7 years of turkey hunting.  I didn't even grow up in turkey country. Flat ground cleared for miles, cotton and rice country. Mom and Dad would take me to grandpas on Fridays after school and he would take me turkey hunting on Saturday. He didn't believe in hunting on Sundays. When I got a little older I got to skip one day of school a year to go turkey hunting.

My how times have changed!  Not always sure it's for the better though.

Yoder409

Quote from: Fullfan on February 15, 2017, 07:55:46 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on February 15, 2017, 07:52:32 PM

Things have come so far it is almost crazy I did not even have a drivers license.
And at that time there not many places in PA where you could kill a spring gobbler.
Hunted with my fathers single barrel 10 ga

Yep.

I was several years from a driver's license too.

I hunted the first gobbling bird that was in our area in modern times.  There were always a few turkeys 8 or 10 miles from our house in the big "crick hills".  But NEVER any anywhere near the house in my dad's memory.

I started in woodland camo............ Trebark, Mossy Oak and Realtree were still several years from existing................carrying a Winchester 1200 2 3/4" gun with a factory Extra Full Winchoke tube and loaded with Federal magnum #2 shot.  I had a Smith's diaphragm call I couldn't use and a tube call I hade made that I could use.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SteelerFan

Killed my 1st turkey in the fall of '78. So, it's been a couple...  :o

Happy

Depends on how you want to look at it. Going on 22 years wandering around the woods squawking on a turkey call. 15 years of wandering around woods that actually held turkeys, squawking on a turkey call and killing them.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

Should add that I was self taught. Started trying to kill turkeys with a full choked new englander 20 guage and a lohman turkey tracer call.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Rio Fan

This will be my 26th spring hunting turkeys.

DocHolliday

bbcoach

I'm the rookie so far.  Started in 2007, when the turkey population in Eastern NC made a comeback.  Killed my first gobbler on April 24th 2009 and haven't looked back.  I've been Blessed to have my Slam already and enjoy this sport so much.  I try to make at least one trip out of state each year.  I also have been self taught as well.  Killed my first bird with a Remmy 1100 with 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/2 oz load of #5's, now my go to is a 835 with 3 1/2 inch Hevi 7's.

JK Spurs

I think I went out for the first about 20 years ago but didn't get serious about it until the last 10 years.
I like my turkey well peppered

Greg Massey

32 years , this spring and i have enjoy every year ...God Bless ....I still have my old Browning plane barrel, that i started with...