OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is a "Heavy" bird in your area? (with pics)

Started by MK M GOBL, January 27, 2016, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 27, 2016, 07:00:43 PM
22-23 is a big one here. 18-19 is average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same here.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

greentag

were i live in ky,ours average 18-2o pound is usually what you kill,my heaviest weighed 24 pound,and ive had a couple hit 23.i did personally see one killed about ten miles from my house that weighed 26,he was a bigun.i would not have believed it though if i had not seen it weighed.you hear of 28 pounders all the time which is people who dont actually weigh them and guess.there is one i have tried to kill the last couple of years that i know is one of these giants,but he has more smarts than size and thats alot.im hoping he is still around this spring so he can kick my butt some more.

jwhunter

Quote from: guesswho on January 27, 2016, 02:40:20 PM
Anything topping 20 is a heavy bird around Al/Ga is a big one.   I've seen a lot of 22-24 lb birds around here that in reality is 18-20 lbs.   some are legit, but just as many or more have a fudge factor involved

Exactly! This has been my experience

Not trying to change the subject or high jack the thread but I don't care what the bird weighs or how long the Spurs are or how long the beard is. If it gobbles and drums and makes my heart jump out of my chest then that's all I care about.

yelpaholic

South ms
  biggest 22 lbs  average probably 18 20

Gooserbat

21 or more is heavy around my parts of Okliehoma.  My biggest home turf bird is 23 lbs 12 oz.  Several years back when I was a skinny pup.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dejake

Where I'm at, the norm for a 3 year old bird is 18-20 lbs.  Over 21, I consider heavy.

OldSchool

Quote from: Happy on January 27, 2016, 06:45:37 PM
17-19 pounds is average around here. Anything over that is considered a heavy bird. My personal best is 23 lbs. I killed him about ten years ago. Don't know if I will ever top that if I just hunt around here. Crappy picture but here he is.

Nice bird Happy. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

OldSchool

Quote from: jwhunter on January 27, 2016, 10:11:53 PM
Quote from: guesswho on January 27, 2016, 02:40:20 PM
Anything topping 20 is a heavy bird around Al/Ga is a big one.   I've seen a lot of 22-24 lb birds around here that in reality is 18-20 lbs.   some are legit, but just as many or more have a fudge factor involved

Exactly! This has been my experience

Not trying to change the subject or high jack the thread but I don't care what the bird weighs or how long the Spurs are or how long the beard is. If it gobbles and drums and makes my heart jump out of my chest then that's all I care about.

Absolutely... Some of my fondest turkey hunting memories don't involve "big" birds.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

chadly

Quote from: jepcho on January 27, 2016, 06:20:33 PM
Here in Iowa we have pretty big birds. The vast majority of the birds I've killed here in Iowa have been over 20, a lot like 21 -23. I would consider 25 and up to be getting real big.
I'm also in Iowa and would agree with this.  I've not seen a bird over 25lbs but I know they are here.  Heck any more I'm just happy to see a tom.  On a different note I did see a flock of two doozen about a week ago with a tom strutting in the snow.   :)

MK M GOBL

Absolutely... Some of my fondest turkey hunting memories don't involve "big" birds.

Bob

I will agree with you there 100%, everything that makes the memories happens before the trigger gets pulled!

lol, I do like seeing a set of Hooks on a bird when I (we) pick him up :) but like picking any of them up.

MK M GOBL

stinkpickle

Quote from: jepcho on January 27, 2016, 06:20:33 PM
Here in Iowa we have pretty big birds. The vast majority of the birds I've killed here in Iowa have been over 20, a lot like 21 -23. I would consider 25 and up to be getting real big. I have killed about 4 at the 25 and up mark with the biggest being a giant 30.5 lb bird on opening day of first season back in 2007.

Agreed.  25lbs and up is considered big, and those are usually taken early in the season when they're still carrying a lot of fat.

AnotherPAboy

I hunt Western PA and my biggest was 23 pounds. It rained that morning so I don't know how true that number is. Usually 18-21 pounds.

reflexl

In the 1980s there was a bird killed in Lincoln Co (here) that weighed 30lbs

Happy

Thanks old school. Looks like the Midwest boys rule the roost when it comes to weight. Nice birds guys!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club