Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Informal Poll: What ONE THING has dramatically improved success?

Started by bamagtrdude, January 07, 2015, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

to the OP question: Evolvement of Decoys: I see a lot of guys that aren't good woodsman and have poor calling skills but they can kill birds every year by siting in a blind and waiting for the right birds to come along and walk right over.

To my own improvement: Understanding of wild turkeys and knowing how to take a birds temp as it were.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvlimbhanger

A toss up between trail camera and a ground blind.  The trail cam helps immensely in the preseason with scouting birds, especially in fields. 

Once season is in the blind is hard to replace for me in hunting field birds, especially in the rain.  When you rephrase it in the way as to what would make me less successful as a hunter it would be a ground blind.  Make for some difficult and wet sits without it.

Bigspurs68

As I read all the replies, I agreed that many things makes my turkey hunting more consistently successful. I can honestly say that there's not many things that could be taken from me that would hamper my turkey killing, I'd adapt.
  That being said, the internet has helped me find places to hunt that I may not have found so....as much as I hate to admit it, I'd miss the computer in my hands.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

bamagtrdude

Quote from: drenalinld on January 07, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
Experience and higher populations.

I agree with The Col on decoys for what it's worth. There simply is not another feeling for me like hearing a gobbler walking and or drumming on his way to my calls looking for me because there is nothing else there! Simply an opinion.

What is the Col's opinion(s) on decoys; doesn't use 'em?
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

mgm1955

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 07, 2015, 10:49:19 AM
I think the OP was after something different guys.  You are talking about good hunting practices that would have been just as effective and realizable 50 years ago. I would say the one MODERN thing that has really contributed to my success is the ready access to information and advice from more experienced hunters through forums like this one.
Quote from: TN Beard Buster on January 07, 2015, 10:28:19 AM
IMO. Our Game and Fish divisions doing trapping and relocating birds and managing those flocks to spread the population over a way broader range. 20-30 years ago there were only birds in isolated regions and the competition for those was crowded.
Information and 7-8 million turkeys

mgm1955

If I understand him right he doesn't believe in decoys although I have seen a video with him using fans to hunt.

drenalinld

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 07, 2015, 12:53:13 PM
Quote from: drenalinld on January 07, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
Experience and higher populations.

I agree with The Col on decoys for what it's worth. There simply is not another feeling for me like hearing a gobbler walking and or drumming on his way to my calls looking for me because there is nothing else there! Simply an opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDL2J7XkCdc

Watch this excerpt from "a fork in the road".

guesswho

For tools it would be between my Squealing Hen Call and my flock of DSD decoys. 

As far as experience it would be my ability to refrain from calling until I found the killing spot.   Take that away and my success would be cut in half.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bamagtrdude

Quote from: drenalinld on January 07, 2015, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 07, 2015, 12:53:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDL2J7XkCdc

Watch this excerpt from "a fork in the road".

Uh huh...  Well, I have to admit, when the video was playing & he was talking behind all those dekes on the porch (see exhibit photo A), I got a little confused...  But, yes, Mr. Colonel clarified his position related to dekes quite succinctly towards the end (see exhibit photo B)...  Maybe the title of the video should be, "The Forker On The Porch"...  ;)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

J Hook Max

Putting as much if not more time scouting as I do hunting. Not only in the preseason but all during the sesson.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 07, 2015, 11:24:25 AM
Age, with it come patience.  Sure modern guns, chokes, loads, camo, and even calls, but patience is key.

Gotta agree with this one.....it truly is the key to success!

Gamblinman

Without a doubt, it has to be the turkey hunters chair. No more sore or numb cheeks. legs. No more sore back from leaning up against a tree. I can actually get out of the chair and walk instead of crawl to my downed bird.

Gman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Cove

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 07, 2015, 12:13:19 PM
to the OP question: Evolvement of Decoys: I see a lot of guys that aren't good woodsman and have poor calling skills but they can kill birds every year by siting in a blind and waiting for the right birds to come along and walk right over.

This^^

allaboutshooting

QuoteWhat ONE THING, in your opinion, has dramatically improved the chances of a MODERN HUNTER (ie 2015 turkey hunter) to harvest a gobbler?

More turkeys.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."