turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I am disgusted

Started by camp man, March 11, 2011, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Thats just wrong on so many levels.    At least he's providing an example of what not to be for your Nephew.  I'd tell everyone who knows him what he did.    Poaching the bird was bad, but cheating your Nephew out of an opportunity to legally take the gobbler is as low as you can get!   Better he did it to you and your youth hunter than me and mine.  I don't do well in situations like that.   Had he done me that way the Game Warden, Sheriff and Ambulance probably would have been called.   Me and him both would have road in one of the three vehicles.

Find a new buddy, cause that guy ain't one!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TScottW99

Call the warden!  That is the right thing to do, not only for you but for setting the right example to your nephew IMO.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

bawana

If you're not reporting him, you're condoning his activities.

savduck

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 11, 2011, 06:11:26 PM
If he had done this during the open season he would be an a-hole, doing it before the season makes him a criminal (in addition to an a-hole).  Turn him in.  Your friendship clearly means nothing to him, don't let him take advantage of it further by turning a blind eye.

Couldnt say it any better myself
Georgia Boy

hookedspur

Quote from: Jay on March 11, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
So basically you can't trust his word, and he's a poacher. Time to find a new buddy.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TRKYHTR

I really just don't get people these days. He is obviously not your friend. Friends don't do that to each other. It really shows his character. I hope your nephew kills a world record right where this guy shot his turkey. I agree that I would tell everybody I know about this situation and let the chips fall where they may. I still can't believe somebody would do such a thing. I'm sorry for you.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BOFF

So.......

Is your buddy the reason you are able to hunt the property? About the only reason I can think of to question, not turning him in.

God Bless,
David B.

turkeybow

Quote from: Flydown on March 11, 2011, 06:31:36 PM
I would have whooped his butt, tied him to a tree, kicked him in the nuts and then called the game warden.
That is freaking pathetic!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :agreed:

I believe I would turn him in.  He obviously isn't your buddy and I sure wouldn't carry him any where else.  I would do all that I could to get his hunting rights there removed.  You could tell the land owner in a way to where it wouldn't hurt you.  If I was the land owner and you reported that to me that would tell me a lot about your character and make me want to continue to allow you to hunt.  If he finds out from someone else it could ruin it for you too if he realizes that you knew.  Even if you do lose the place it would stink but it should make you feel good about doing it.

A true buddy would appreciate everything that you have done for him and respect what you have asked.  A true hunter would abide by the law.  He isn't a true buddy or hunter so I would turn him in.  Poaching makes it bad but it makes it even worse when he is taking from the kids (your nephew).  As hunters if we don't do our part to turn people in they will never learn and there will be no examples set for others.

I know it's would not be easy turning in a buddy but it's the right thing to do.  I abide by the law and buy my license every single year.  I start hunting when it opens and quit when it closes.  We owe it to the animal we hunt because the seasons are set to benefit the species as much as it can.  I have a degree in wildlife management and know others that do and still poach.  That just goes to show you that things are real bad.  This is what has made me want to become a game warden and the day I get my job I will vow to do my job as hard as I can to bust every single poacher I can.  They will learn who I am real fast!!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

bird

Not much of a buddy if you ask me.  More like a buddy.... well you know what I mean.

Call the CO and be done with the POS.  What kind of message is this sending your nephew if you don't turn the guy in. 

bird

Bowhunter1982

I would tell the landowner for sure.

harvester

If you don't want to do it, send me or someone else the information, location, date, time, etc...
Will not bother me a bit to turn that POS in.  :icon_thumright:

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Jay on March 11, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
So basically you can't trust his word, and he's a poacher. Time to find a new buddy.
:agreed:   Hasn't took your buddy to long to forget what turkey hunting is all about.....if you have to poach a turkey to get one then you have problems!!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

paintbrush

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 11, 2011, 06:11:26 PM
If he had done this during the open season he would be an a-hole, doing it before the season makes him a criminal (in addition to an a-hole).  Turn him in.  Your friendship clearly means nothing to him, don't let him take advantage of it further by turning a blind eye.

Totally agree with this statement!!!

camp man

I really appreciate the support from everyone. It truly don't get much worse than that in my book. I was just wondering if I was overreacting...I really didn't believe that I was and all the comments just confirms it. He had nothing to do with me getting permission to hunt the land. I worked out a deal with the landowner through tractor repairs that I do for him for free and in exchange, he lets me hunt. I will definitely talk to the landowner in the morning.

CASH

That's just messed up. What a super douchebag. Kick his azz, then call the game warden.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.