OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What is the creepiest/spooking thing you came across in the turkey woods...

Started by Sanders153, March 10, 2022, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gergg

One dark morning in the swamps of South Florida (public land), I was tucked into a large "bush" waiting on daylight near a turkey I had roosted the evening before. It was very quiet, I heard something walking towards me from behind, it was now just breaking light, the "creature" sounded very close and I was sure I could hear it pressing into the bush I was against.....I then heard breathing, and it was getting louder, I could hear the brush moving behind my head, I quickly turned around and inches from my face was a horse head, this horse must have smelled me with all my DEET on....It bolted when I turned and I almost fainted....lol....scared the crap out of me for a second or two. Not 30 minutes after that encounter, a guy shot the gobbler I was set on right off the limb, he was as proud as can be too......crazy morning
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

ncturkey

Cool story. 

Quote from: FLGobstopper on March 11, 2022, 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 11, 2022, 08:36:21 AM
A human leg

Man you can't write something like that and not share more details!

For me, a cottonmouth at head level with his mouth wide open 3 feet from my face. He was witting on top a root ball while I came across a blowdown straddling a creek  while trying to get in tight on gobbler who already flew the creek on us once that morning. My 12 yr old daughter was right behind me and a youth hunt. I don't typically carry a decoy, but we had one that morning and I'm glad I did as he came at me I blocked him with it and we both lost balance and went in the water. As we're both falling mid air I calculate his trajectory to land right in my lap and come over the top with big blow as he hits maybe a millionth of a second after me, knocking him who knows where. They talk about super human strength in times of crisis and I don't know how, but by some miracle I leapt from the chest deep water back up onto that big pine log like the bionic man in one jump.

To say my daughter was not impressed my battle with the snake is an understatement! After I calmed her down, dried her tears and dried myself off a bit, we did catch up to the slippery gobbler, who I now believe knew Mr. No Shoulders was there all along and tried to thwart our attack with his presence.

Funny I had a memory  pop up from that adventure yesterday morning and got to relive the horror and delight all over again. I'll see if I can post a pic.

3bailey3

I passed a car on some public and they didn't look like hunters, old crack head lady steps out of car pulls her dress up and pissed in the middle of the road,NASTY!

bushangler

Quote from: Number17 on March 11, 2022, 11:02:40 AM
Quote from: bushangler on March 11, 2022, 10:39:51 AM
Found a elderly African American gentleman  with a VERY angry emancipated dog......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have been one old dog! I wonder if he remembers Lincoln?
Lol, good catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I had stumbled upon a homeless camp on a piece of public that was known for homeless inhabitants near the lake's edge from the main access points. I went up on a main ridge of the lake, but it was not easily accessible and pretty deep from the access, on top was a very large camp that was at the time I was there, was abandoned. There was several large military style knives hung up with fishing line in sheaths all around the camp for easy access to any inhabitants. There was a large fire pit with sizable cast irons next to it, as well as multiple lean-to's made of thick brush and rocks with tarps for a roof.

I observed the location quickly, and ventured back off the main lake ridge to just get deeper into the hardwoods. It forced me to find one of my now public "honey holes" after that encounter, so it wasn't all bad.

Will

Bear tracks in my boot print that I left crossing a creek in the dark. It was a half hour difference when I was crossing back over the creek to chase a bird. The bear track was headed the same direction I was when I crossed the creek in the dark 

mountainhunter1

I have three and these are not embellished one bit. Make sure you don't skip reading the third incident because it is about as out there as it can get.

1.  The first one was in 1988, and we were deer hunting (sorry no turkey hunting) up in the mountains in a pretty remote area, and it was my father and myself and we had gotten back to the truck on the WMA gun hunt we were participating in and were headed out back to a main road. About halfway out (and it was well after dark by then), we came upon a black hearse backed up into a parking spot on the dirt road and there were folks walking all around the hearse and out in the road dressed in all black from head to foot. They all had on some type of black robes. Even had something black over their faces. Needless to say, my father who was driving put a little extra weight on the accelerator and we got on by them as fast as possible. Still can see that in my mind very vividly even to this day.

2.  About ten years ago, I was hunting the same WMA up in the mountains by myself and was up in a canyon rim and found a series of garbage bags with pieces of clothes and it sparked my curiosity and I got to looking around and found a man's wallet with driver's license, hunting license and money, etc. in it. Well of course, I could not help but think that I had found a murder scene where someone had dumped a dead body in garbage bags and coyotes or something had found the site and tore things up. So I came home and contacted the game warden and gave him the wallet (no phone service up at the site where I found the wallet), and he eventually got back to me and said that the guy was alive and well and that he was very grateful that I had found his wallet so he could get his money back. The game warden also was very concerned about the man's well being before running him down, but turns out the story from the other hunter was that he was tracking a deer and had lost his wallet and had looked and looked for it to no avail. Still wonder about the garbage bags and clothes, but maybe that being in the same place was just a coincidence as we have had some tornadoes and that stuff could have blown in from far away with high winds.

3.  I saved the best one for last and God as my witness this is the truth. About fifteen years ago, one of my good buddies who I trust with my life was hunting the same WMA, and had drove up to the very top of the mountain way before daylight (he was hunting alone that day) and had just parked his truck and gotten out to gather his stuff to walk out the ridge. Keep in mind before I finish the story that there was only one road going in and out and that he had just driven the entire length of that road and seen no one. That is a key fact to grasp about how weird this is fixing to get. But anyway, he had just parked and gotten out and was gathering his stuff when he heard someone walking up the gravel road and the sound was getting closer and closer. Needless to say, he had not seen anyone on that road on the way up the mountain, so he was very fixated on the sound as it approached. Well, out of the dark (the light from the truck cab kinda gave some ambient light as the sound got real close) appears this man who is very elderly and is dressed in dress clothes with dress shoes and what my friend said looked like a dark members only jacket came walking right by him on the road and walked right by him. My friend said hello and good morning and yet the man never did say a word but instead walked right by him and up the road and out of sight and was gone just like that. Keep in mind that this is about 4:30 in the morning and it is about 30 degrees outside and this man was not on the road anywhere when my friend drove in. Needless to say, my friend was very apprehensive to even hunt that morning, but he eventually did go onto into the woods where he intended to hunt.

NOW - this is where it really gets interesting. Without my friend saying a single word about this to another friend who was a big coon hunter,  - a few years later - this coon hunter one day told an odd story about an elderly man dressed in similar fashion who suddenly appeared on the very top of the mtn on a ridge in heavy timber well off of the road one night (very close to where my friend had the original sighting) about 3:00 a.m. and wallked by and once again the man did not say a word or answer the coon hunter - but instead just walked on by him and out of sight into the middle of the night. The coon hunter was very shaken by the sight to say the least. Think about it, what kind of deal is this where an old man is in dress clothes and is walking around in the high elevations of the mtn in the wee hours of the morning with no light or nothing and does not even speak when spoken to?? Now - here is the thing, my friend encountered a third man who saw basically the same thing about a mile down the mtn from the first two sightings and his story was very similar to the first two. I guess the next question is this - do you believe in ghosts? I would have said no, but just don't know because this is a true story and it is hard for me to believe an actual man could be hanging out like that in such an elderly state and dressed so wrong for the elements and yet be among the living. Anyway, we still talk about that often and we eventually named the man "Members only man."
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Mountainburd

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 11, 2022, 12:56:56 PM
I have three and these are not embellished one bit. Make sure you don't skip reading the third incident because it is about as out there as it can get.

1.  The first one was in 1988, and we were deer hunting (sorry no turkey hunting) up in the mountains in a pretty remote area, and it was my father and myself and we had gotten back to the truck on the WMA gun hunt we were participating in and were headed out back to a main road. About halfway out (and it was well after dark by then), we came upon a black hearse backed up into a parking spot on the dirt road and there were folks walking all around the hearse and out in the road dressed in all black from head to foot. They all had on some type of black robes. Even had something black over their faces. Needless to say, my father who was driving put a little extra weight on the accelerator and we got on by them as fast as possible. Still can see that in my mind very vividly even to this day.

2.  About ten years ago, I was hunting the same WMA up in the mountains by myself and was up in a canyon rim and found a series of garbage bags with pieces of clothes and it sparked my curiosity and I got to looking around and found a man's wallet with driver's license, hunting license and money, etc. in it. Well of course, I could not help but think that I had found a murder scene where someone had dumped a dead body in garbage bags and coyotes or something had found the site and tore things up. So I came home and contacted the game warden and gave him the wallet (no phone service up at the site where I found the wallet), and he eventually got back to me and said that the guy was alive and well and that he was very grateful that I had found his wallet so he could get his money back. The game warden also was very concerned about the man's well being before running him down, but turns out the story from the other hunter was that he was tracking a deer and had lost his wallet and had looked and looked for it to no avail. Still wonder about the garbage bags and clothes, but maybe that being in the same place was just a coincidence as we have had some tornadoes and that stuff could have blown in from far away with high winds.

3.  I saved the best one for last and God as my witness this is the truth. About fifteen years ago, one of my good buddies who I trust with my life was hunting the same WMA, and had drove up to the very top of the mountain way before daylight (he was hunting alone that day) and had just parked his truck and gotten out to gather his stuff to walk out the ridge. Keep in mind before I finish the story that there was only one road going in and out and that he had just driven the entire length of that road and seen no one. That is a key fact to grasp about how weird this is fixing to get. But anyway, he had just parked and gotten out and was gathering his stuff when he heard someone walking up the gravel road and the sound was getting closer and closer. Needless to say, he had not seen anyone on that road on the way up the mountain, so he was very fixated on the sound as it approached. Well, out of the dark (the light from the truck cab kinda gave some ambient light as the sound got real close) appears this man who is very elderly and is dressed in dress clothes with dress shoes and what my friend said looked like a dark members only jacket came walking right by him on the road and walked right by him. My friend said hello and good morning and yet the man never did say a word but instead walked right by him and up the road and out of sight and was gone just like that. Keep in mind that this is about 4:30 in the morning and it is about 30 degrees outside and this man was not on the road anywhere when my friend drove in. Needless to say, my friend was very apprehensive to even hunt that morning, but he eventually did go onto into the woods where he intended to hunt.

NOW - this is where it really gets interesting. Without my friend saying a single word about this to another friend who was a big coon hunter,  - a few years later - this coon hunter one day told an odd story about an elderly man dressed in similar fashion who suddenly appeared on the very top of the mtn on a ridge in heavy timber well off of the road one night (very close to where my friend had the original sighting) about 3:00 a.m. and wallked by and once again the man did not say a word or answer the coon hunter - but instead just walked on by him and out of sight into the middle of the night. The coon hunter was very shaken by the sight to say the least. Think about it, what kind of deal is this where an old man is in dress clothes and is walking around in the high elevations of the mtn in the wee hours of the morning with no light or nothing and does not even speak when spoken to?? Now - here is the thing, my friend encountered a third man who saw basically the same thing about a mile down the mtn from the first two sightings and his story was very similar to the first two. I guess the next question is this - do you believe in ghosts? I would have said no, but just don't know because this is a true story and it is hard for me to believe an actual man could be hanging out like that in such an elderly state and dressed so wrong for the elements and yet be among the living. Anyway, we still talk about that often and we eventually named the man "Members only man."

Great story. You mind at least telling what state? And yes, I believe in ghosts. I've seen and heard way too many stories.

Lucky Goose

Does a dismembered, melted, plastic baby arms, legs, & head nailed to a tree count?  I've got a pic somewhere...

Rapscallion Vermilion

Not really spooky or creepy, but more of a mystery - a very large and beautiful metal cross, must have been 8' tall and 6' across.  Miles from any road and not even a foot trail nearby.  I looked around for any kind of plaque, nothing.  No inscription on the cross either.  I can only assume that cross marked a very special place for someone.

ol bob

Back in the mountains several miles from any road of any kind found a late 60 ford sedan, no motor, transmission, or wheels. Every thing else just, like off the show room floor, less that 100 miles on it, have no idea how they got it there, and sure no way to get it out.

Tail Feathers

I was following the sound of a gobbler in a low area of my hunting lease.  Pretty dark and swampy most of the time and smells like swamp mud.  I came across a cross nailed to a tree, with flowers on it and a name.  It looked like something you see on the side of the road marking where someone was killed.
This was 1/2 mile from any road.  Turns out, a man put there years before where his wife died.  She was deer hunting and died in her stand I learned.  Eerie out there in the middle of some woods tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Iaguntrader

A meth lab during turkey season. We had walked an old quarry ridge about a half mile back in north Missouri and came across it. We immediately left and contacted authorities. They arrested the guy a few days later and he escaped from jail to be arrested again a week or so later. He was as crazy as they make them before meth, I'm guessing crazy and meth'd out don't make a good combination so I'm awful glad he wasn't there.

Another time on the same farm a few years later a buddy and me had set up in an old barn to deer hunt. We had been setting there for about 30 minutes and looked over and there was a skunk about 10 ft away from us...it had came in the door to the right, we went out a hole to the left. Went in about an hour later to get our stuff. Thankfully neither us nor our gear got sprayed.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Mountainburd on March 11, 2022, 02:20:28 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 11, 2022, 12:56:56 PM

Great story. You mind at least telling what state? And yes, I believe in ghosts. I've seen and heard way too many stories.

This is in North Georgia. There is so much to consider about what happened. Imagine taking an elderly man from an assisted living place and having them go and climb around on the mtn. Maybe that example is too extreme as some elderly men are pretty active, but this area is very steep terrain, so physically this just does not seem like something an elderly person would be doing - especially in the middle of the night and the individual was just not dressed right for the low temps regardless of age. Whoever or whatever it was, it happened, but it defies human logic. My buddy did not tell about this event for several years because it bothered him and he thought folks would think he was out of it, but eventually did after the other hunter who was coon hunting told about seeing what sounded like the same man under similar if not even more bizarre conditions. After that, a third person as said earlier, saw and also described the same type event about a mile or so down the mtn from the other two sightings.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13