turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Public fanning video

Started by zeke632, May 16, 2021, 02:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you think Aaron using the fanning was all for the sake of getting a kill on video? If we are going to talk about fanning and doing away with decoy's, then lets also do away with OnX hunt APP also... this mapping system has also contribute to a lot more gobblers being killed. Think about it, fanning, decoys, Onx hunt all of these are aid's in killing gobblers, right alone with TSS and better custom calls etc.. all of these items or some of these items we use as turkey hunter's now a day contributes in more gobblers being killed. Including Social media.. IMO.... Just take a minute and look at that shotgun your carrying, with fancy red dot's, scopes, screw in chokes, shells all again contribute to more gobblers being killed. Back in our early day of hunting we had non of these fancy items, just shotgun, few homemade calls and wanting to turkey hunt. SO we are all caught up in this game of using some kind of aid's in killing more gobblers in my opinion.  Do i myself agree with fanning, I will say it's something I've never used or have plans of using to kill a gobbler. My suggestion is your the one who has to pay for your actions of what you do in killing gobblers. IMO.  Safety first always.

outdoorsmen

I have yet to have a fan work for me.  Tried it a few times and turkey didn't like it.

Meleagris gallopavo

I watch very few turkey hunting videos.  I have enjoyed watching the Denny Gulvas videos on CD I purchased some time back.  I did watch one episode of Pinhoti Project because Steve Torman was in it.  I was envious of Dave when Steve gave him a striker.  I guess I consider turkey hunting and hunting and killing specific gobblers a personal project that I enjoy.  I don't know many people near me that like to talk turkey hunting so I enjoy this forum.  I enjoy telling and hearing turkey hunting stories.  I tried to explain to my wife recently that telling the stories is part of turkey hunting more so than other game I hunt.  I get into it, even when I don't kill a turkey because it's still a turkey hunting story.  Like reading a good book or listening to someone tell a good story.  I say all of this because the YouTube and social media stuff doesn't really interest me personally but I do know many lifetime hunters that bemoan hunting shows that have glorified and "coolified" duck and turkey hunting, mainly because there is more competition for good hunting spots and game.  There are new people we don't know in the woods with us using this and that to help them be successful.  Things change but the perceptions of that change are different for different folks.  So if it's legal and safe I don't bat an eye at what others are doing.  My hunting techniques, if you can call them that, are very personal endeavors that I think on a lot.  In the end, money is the driving factor behind what we see out there that we like or dislike, whether it be a new turkey vest everyone wants because its durable, comfortable and it has all the pockets in the right places or reaping using the latest reaping gear or an expensive trumpet call that we saw someone on YouTube use.  Folks sell stuff to make money.  They sell timber and land to developers to make money.  I hunted a piece of beautiful property this year that's loaded with turkeys, even though I didn't kill one there.  The guy that put me on it said it would be logged soon and I told him that would be it for the turkeys then.  But its out of my control so I file it in the "not in my control box" which resides all the other stuff I choose not to worry about.  I just move on and do the best I can which I have control over, which ain't much.  Not sure why I wrote all of this other than I must be in a writing mood...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

WV Flopper

Greg Massey, I like your post, you are 100% correct.

When I was a kid you had something when you had some Winchester Super Double X turkey ammo. Back then hardly No one used a pot call, it was a box or a mouth call. Man I am getting old!

Crghss

I don't care how people hunt this includes fanning. But I do feel fanning is an unsafe way too hunt.

Like anything that is a hazard we should try to improve or eliminate it. There are so many mistakes, injuries every year that I'm just not sure its worth having fanning in the mix.

My only objection to fanning is the safety aspect.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Roost 1

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 16, 2021, 09:29:36 AM
Do you think Aaron using the fanning was all for the sake of getting a kill on video? If we are going to talk about fanning and doing away with decoy's, then lets also do away with OnX hunt APP also... this mapping system has also contribute to a lot more gobblers being killed. Think about it, fanning, decoys, Onx hunt all of these are aid's in killing gobblers, right alone with TSS and better custom calls etc.. all of these items or some of these items we use as turkey hunter's now a day contributes in more gobblers being killed. Including Social media.. IMO.... Just take a minute and look at that shotgun your carrying, with fancy red dot's, scopes, screw in chokes, shells all again contribute to more gobblers being killed. Back in our early day of hunting we had non of these fancy items, just shotgun, few homemade calls and waiting to turkey hunt. SO we are all caught up in this game of using some kind of aid's in killing more gobblers in my opinion.  Do i myself agree with fanning, I will say it's something I've never used or have plans of using to kill a gobbler. My suggestion is your the one who has to pay for your actions of what you do in killing gobblers. IMO.  Safety first always.

FACTS!!!!

CALLM2U

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 16, 2021, 09:05:51 AM
Unlike a lot of folks here, I actually really enjoy The Hunting Public typically. And they're all stupid woodsy. If you don't believe that try to consistently spot and stalk mature bedded whitetails. 99.9% of people couldn't do what they're managing to do each fall. Aaron seems to be a super genuine guy. Hell of an outdoorsman. A great advocate for the sport, and more importantly for the bird. That said, they've made mistakes and aren't infallible by any means. There have also been piles of, perhaps unintended, consequences as a result of their popularity. I haven't seen the video this post is referencing but if concealing a movement is the justification given, here's my objection: sometimes the turkey just wins. And that's okay! Matter of fact, that's the best part of it! In the past they've done a great job of not only showing kills, but showing the tough days and the days they get whooped by the quarry. Honestly that's what I enjoy most about them. It ain't all slow mo footage of five yard head shots. The Florida footage at the beginning of this year, they got whooped for days on end, and that's what they aired, them getting whooped. Aaron knows that, so maybe it was just a lapse of judgement. Personally I'd rather watch a good bird pin him down and whoop him than I would him use a fan to get away with things he couldn't get away with otherwise.

Agreed.  When I saw the video and him bring out the fan I just started laughing and said "oh the keyboard cowboys are gonna light him up for that one."  :TooFunny:

It didn't bother me a bit.  He had it out for just a second to make a turn on the tree as they came in hard to his right.  I genuinely believe he was simply trying to hide movement.  That guy can kill turkeys more consistently than most of the guys on here I'm willing to bet. 

Cowboy

Quote from: lowoctane on May 16, 2021, 07:41:35 AM
:morning:
Marketing and sales: where the "sport" is being led? I was mentored by a hunter that stressed abilities over the actual kill. Many times I heard this phrase "that's hunting" when neither of us would bring home our quarry. "What did you learn?" was also said equally to emphasize the importance of growing into my abilities. This season I had the privelage of taking out a 17 year old hunter who has been brought up with the same mindset, and it was a blessing to help him along with his new found passion: turkey hunting. He's already an accomplished deer and duck hunter so he said those words "that's hunting" a few times as we weren't successful in bringing one home with us. He has been brought up to appreciate what all is involved in the hunt and understands the importance of his role in being able to be successful with respect to the final moments of his quarry's life. It's about the hunt: safety, have fun and if you bring one home, that's a plus! I built on his abilities and we had a great time in the woods, safely. I cannot understand how anyone can use a fan safely, much less market these things as a necessary tool for a successful tool. It's like putting on a deer costume during deer season and walking through the woods to me. Utter stupidity and totally irresponsible. :camohat:
Well said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Howie g

Waddell , primos , knight / hale etc didn't use fans when the lst started putting out video either , but they all use them now !  It's all about product and production.  They all sold there souls for a dollar ????.  The hunting public will go the same route ... just a matter of time .  Bank on it .

AndyN

This is blasphemous, I will stop watching their videos immediately. How dare they occasionally use a fan. I bet they use decoys for ducks too instead of pass shooting them like true sportsmen.

harleytom

Quote from: Sasha and Abby on May 16, 2021, 07:01:57 AM
decoys and fans, while legal, are just tools for those who cannot kill one by the call.  very sad to cheapen the hunt with them...
All encompassing comments and thought processes of exclusion rather than inclusion is what is wrong with social media hunting sites. Plain and simple, too many know it all busy bodies trying to tell everyone else what is the "proper" way to hunt. I guess Native American hunters would tell us unless we kill one with a homemade bow and arrows and a folded blade of grass for a call then we are "cheapening" the hunt. Ridiculous comments by elitists. If it's legal and you feel safe doing it, then do it. Don't let know it all hunters spoil your personal experiences.

Cferrieri

As long as it's legal I'm good with it I say the same thing with the guys that sit in a blind with a flock of decoys knowing the birds come out every day they arnt scared of the blind and just ambushing them but it's legal and that's how they choose to hunt so it's not any of my business to each there own no one has the rite to say anything about how I hunt them as long as it's legal

Shiloh

I've seen THP pass up way too much $$$ in an effort to stay true to their supporters.  I seriously doubt they'll cave for money.  Aaron knew he'd get flamed for that, but I can assure you that he needs no more help than the best on this site to kill gobblers.  He's a true killer. 

dublelung

The butt hurt continues! Carry on!

Drycreek

Hunt the way that makes you happy. What is more important is that WE as the hunting community stop all the in fighting and support our fellow hunters.