OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crossbow for turkey hunting

Started by packmule, June 28, 2018, 06:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

I'm considering buying a crossbow for turkey hunting next year.  Would be a total beginner, any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Spring Creek Calls

Many states offer an early archery season just before the gun opener. Great way to get a jump on opening day and also get some great scouting in while hunting. I've taken a couple birds with a crossbow, but one must aim carefully as it's a mighty small kill zone on a turkey. I hunt with a Barnett FX2 crossbow which is under $300. I use the same broadheads that I hunt deer with and limit my shots to 25 yards and in. Good luck Toby!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

yelpy

I use a Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme 175, South shore archery spynal tapp arrows, tipped with a any rage crossbow head or mechanical head I have for deer. Fast and very accurate. More speed less margin for error. Works like a charm.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

neal

I bought a ravin and hunted with it this spring in Nebraska. Used the rage turkey broadheads. I killed two and a buddy used it and killed one. Lots of practice and know your equipment very well. My Ravin shoots over 400fps I shot one bird at 30yds and after looking at the footage he still jumped the string, his wings were halfway up to fly when the arrow hit him. After seeing that 20-25yds is my limit. Got all the kills on film for Barronett blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

raywa

My 12-year-old daughter took her first turkey this year with a crossbow. It was a nice 2 bearded gobbler. She was using my Excalibur xbow. I like the Excalibur because it doesn't have any cams to come out of tune. Also, the string can be changed out in the field without the need for a bow press.

packmule

Thank you all for the information, very helpful.

pabossie255

I'm a Excalibur guy also for reasons stated and they are flat out accurate.

tracker#1

I worked in a large retail bow shop and sold a lot of crossbows, comes down to two types, "wheeled" or recurve. Wheeled or "compounds", if not properly maintained or human error, can shut your hunt down. A recurve is more reliable, not as much maintenance and things going wrong. Accidently break a string and that can be remedied in the field in a minute with extra string, back in the game, but you loose some speed with them. Wheeled bows are much faster. A lot of good ones out there. The least that came back to the shop for repair would be the Tenpoints. good customer service base. Tenpoint came out with a new line up duplicating the "Ravins" but different cable set up and more economically priced. My recommendation would be is to find a good archery shop and shoot a lot of them before you jump. Aim small on a turkey and study anatomy and arrow placement from different angels. I'm not a Tenpoint rep either. Just my experience in a shop....

pabossie255

Economical priced??? Its the same price as the Ravin if you have not looked I would not call that to economical.

3bailey3

I have a Tenpoint that I have only used for deer but I would love to take a turkey with it, it is very accurate but glad to hear about turkey jumping the string on a longer shot.

Tail Feathers

I have one.   Never killed anything with it yet. I want to try it some day on turkeys.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

renegade19

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 01, 2018, 09:01:12 PM
I have one.   Never killed anything with it yet. I want to try it some day on turkeys.

Me too!  I bought a CenterPoint.  Thing shoots crazy good.  Waiting on deer season to break it in. 

renegade19

https://www.crossbownation.com/
Good forum to ask your question.  Very similar to this place.  Shannon, forgive me it I broke a rule posting this link! 

Hook hanger

I second the 10pts I have used mine last 4 years shooting 5-7 Tom's a year with it. Accuracy is key to put the bolt where it needs to be on a turkey.

tracker#1

I did look. That's why I said economically. Tenpoints Shadow NXT $1099.99, accu draw $1,299.99, Stealth, $1.599.99 compared to Ravin's R9 lower end starting at $1,599.99 and higher end at $2,099.99. Plus recalls, issue with knocking. Tenpoint has much better customer base also, so far. As I said, I'm not in anyway connected to Tenpoint, just know a good product and what economically "means" is I would like to see people on this forum save some "change."