turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deer blew my hunt?

Started by strum, April 29, 2018, 01:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

To start with this has been the hardest season ever for me. The weather has been terrible and the tuks have been few and far to be found. my favorite spot was messed up due to loggers .
On a good note im on some great property now and the weather has finally turned in my favor.
This morn ing it was clear and I didnt hear a peep out of anything at daylight. no crows ,owls tuks .. nothing
About 8 oclock I hear a gobble .  I had not called much but what calls i did was very soft on a slate pot.
He starts getting closer and I was very careful not to over call. when i was sure he had answered me I put the pot down.
So hes gobbling every 30 secs to a min and getting closer and closer. then I see movement down to my left below me .
My heart is racing. Its a deer .. dang.  so he is coming in from behind and below and there is 3 deer right where im expecting him to appear.  Then another comes in . finally I see him but I dont have a shot yet and im sure he is going straight to my decoy.
But he didnt .. he just  keeps on walking right past and away .. what the? the deer were in between him and me and my dek so im thinking they messed him up for me?  well then he's about 80 yards away and I hit my slate kind of aggressive  cuts and yelp .. he gobbles  right on top loud loud!!  about that time the deer got in my wind I guess .  I was afraid of that . she started blowing me  of course the woods went silent . I never saw him again. Now I understand that part but im confused as to why he didnt just walk past the deer to me in the first place? stupid turkeys  lol.

LaLongbeard

Not very stupid he's still alive. Turkeys are easily spooked  to begin with and don't need much to make them suspicious. Also you need to understand real hens have legs and if a real hen  had been in that situation and was interested in finding the gobbler she'd have met him halfway. When you think about how it normally works in nature, the hen going to the gobbler , it is a wonder we ever get them to come all the way in to be shot. And some gobbblers won't wade thru 2or 3 deer to get to a hen or anything else they'll skirt around them. Deer snorting and blowing is a constant aggrevation were I hunt at least a couple times a season they mess up a morning for me.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Divenut2

Ya, they can be unpredictable for sure. I routinely see turkey and deer hanging out and foraging together on our property. Ma Nature, never short on surprises! Good luck on the rest of your hunt.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

howl

How do you suppose that would have worked out if you had no deke and were set up so that it had to come into range to see you?

Sixes

I love to see deer just not during turkey season. I normally try to spook them off as soon as they get near me. Had a similar experience this year, had a hen and a gobbler coming in from my left and were about 60-70 yards away, I saw some movement in front and to the right of me and out walked a parade line of 8 deer. They got almost to me on the roadbed and spooked, snorting and raising a ruckus all through the woods.  Both turkey spooked and went back from where they came from

strum

Quote from: howl on May 01, 2018, 09:36:59 AM
How do you suppose that would have worked out if you had no deke and were set up so that it had to come into range to see you?

I keep asking myself that same question lol.
I havent used dekes much and usually dont just tried something different and it went south .