turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pears

Started by OLE RASPY, July 23, 2011, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

I planted a pear tree 4 years ago and finally this year started having pears.I picked these today.I like pears. There wasnt but 15 pears and i got 14.Wanted to get the before the critters did.

hookedspur

:icon_thumright: I love pears as well .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

OLE RASPY

Got a ? for any pear eaters. :lol: I just bit in to one of the pears and its real bitter and not very soft.They probally arent ripe all the way since i picked them but a couple had already fell to the ground.Whats the best way for them to get ripe.Can u set them in a window seal like a tomater.

browning

I don't know if it works the same for pears, but if we have green bananas, we put them in a small brown paper bag and put them on the kitchen counter.  After a couple days, they're ready to eat.  We used to have a pear tree and a peach tree about 10 years ago at our old house but they were hard to keep up with because of all the bugs.  Yours look great!  :cowboy:

Devastator

not sure on the window deal but they should be yellow when there ready to eat.my grand father had a tree in his lawn when i was young and i used to eat pears all the time.he and my mom used to can them.brings back some memories seeing them pears raspy.they are some very good eating.i know the deer used to love them too.

longspur

lots of different kinds. some of them never get soft, or sweet. Those look pretty green, and its a little early unless your way south. my guess is that they won't rippen up like a nanner or a mater. Try it and let us know.

stone road turkey calls

pears look great, birds get my pears every year, they peck out the red spot.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

spurman

It looks like you may have picked them a bit early, jmho.

My dad would take green pears without any blemishes wrap each one in newspaper and store them in a cool dark place. You need to keep an eye on them and remove any that go bad.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

savduck

My great grandparents used to have one in their backyards.....that thing would drop hundreds of pears, the branches would drop to the ground. I remember my poppy filling up brown grocery bags and sending them to church. He would trap squirrels to keep them out.

But my most remembered thing about that tree was the SWITCHES....yep thats right, when you were bad at pops and nans...they had you go pick a switch off that tree. I learned pretty quick to behave at the grandparents.
Georgia Boy

barry

Love a good pear!
You're right savduck, pear trees have some wicked tuff switches on them!

mossy835

Try putting them in a bowl with an apple to help them ripen up.

WyoHunter

I love dried fruit especially pears.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

drenalinld

Even a little green they are awesome for preserves!!!! Pear preserves and home made buscuits are hard to beat. :z-winnersmiley:

hookedspur

Quote from: spurman on July 24, 2011, 08:45:53 AM
It looks like you may have picked them a bit early, jmho.

My dad would take green pears without any blemishes wrap each one in newspaper and store them in a cool dark place. You need to keep an eye on them and remove any that go bad.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions